[comp.sys.apollo] /etc/d_passwd

bag@tech.perpk.nt.com (Bill Gutknecht) (03/21/91)

Thanks for the response concerning the .rgyloc file, it was mondo-helpful!

Another question ...

How do you use the /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd for added dialup security.
The man pages ( section 1 of the manual under 'login' ) was not very helpful
(surprise, surprise) ... I'm able to get the "Dialup password" prompt, but
none of the passwords seem to work.

I figure it is the format of my password entries ...

Bill Gutknecht			bag@perpk.nt.com
Systems Administrator		(919) 481 - 8603
DMS10 Technology
Northern Telecom Inc            "When I die, I will go before Crom and he will
Morrisville, NC			 ask me the Riddle of Steel ... "

rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (03/21/91)

> How do you use the /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd for added dialup security.
> The man pages ( section 1 of the manual under 'login' ) was not very helpful
> (surprise, surprise) ... I'm able to get the "Dialup password" prompt, but
> none of the passwords seem to work.

There is a bug in the documentation at SR10.1 and SR10.2. It is
corrected at SR10.3. The format of the /etc/d_passwd file *SHOULD* be:

	/bin/sh:13-character-encrypted-password:

(Note the trailing colon. This was missing in 10.1 and 10.2
documentation.)

The password must be encrypted with crypt(3). Thus, don't use an
encrypted password from /etc/passwd if the password for that account
was last changed at SR9.x.

I've gotten this working here, so if you have any problems let me
know.

Hope this helps.
--
Douglas Keenan Rand                Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone: +1 602 436 2814               US Snail: P.O. Box 21111 Phoenix AZ 85036

weber_w@apollo.HP.COM (Walt Weber) (03/21/91)

|> How do you use the /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd for added dialup
security.
The d_passwd file is structured similar to the passwd file; the password is
determined by the login shell for the user. The first field is the shell path,
and the second field is the encrypted password. If there is no entry for the
shell the user is using, then the /bin/sh entry is used. Thus, a one-line
d_passwd file for all users is as follows:

/bin/sh:7g0iXJYS4SA1s:

Note that the trailing ":" is required. There is no supplied program which
will produce the encrypted password specifically for the file, but writing
one is pretty straightforward.

This can be found in login(1) under bsd.

|> Bill Gutknecht			bag@perpk.nt.com

...walt...

Walt Weber                           Hewlett Packard Response Center
508-256-6600x6772                    Chelmsford, MA, USA
   "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism
    by those who have not got it" -George Bernard Shaw

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (03/28/91)

In article <9103211544.AA17273@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com> rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>> How do you use the /etc/d_users and /etc/d_passwd for added dialup security.
>> The man pages ( section 1 of the manual under 'login' ) was not very helpful
>> (surprise, surprise) ... I'm able to get the "Dialup password" prompt, but
>> none of the passwords seem to work.
>
>There is a bug in the documentation at SR10.1 and SR10.2. It is
>corrected at SR10.3. The format of the /etc/d_passwd file *SHOULD* be:
>
>	/bin/sh:13-character-encrypted-password:
>
>(Note the trailing colon. This was missing in 10.1 and 10.2
>documentation.)
>
>The password must be encrypted with crypt(3). Thus, don't use an
>encrypted password from /etc/passwd if the password for that account
>was last changed at SR9.x.

One other thing.  The /etc/d_passwd file must have a blank line at the end.  The
Apollo hotline "actually" helped me with this :-)

Bryan Province -Glenayre Corp., Quincy, IL- quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
             "I tried putting instant coffee in the microwave,
                I almost went back in time."  - Steven Wright