[comp.sys.apollo] X11R4 clients

rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM (03/22/91)

** ARRGGHH **

I just loaded up PSK Q2 (why is it called PSK Q2?) and I found 3
executables in /usr/X11/bin:
	dmtox
	mwm
	x11start

Where are the clients? Like xterm and the such. These are required for
X11R4 support.

Ok, Ok. The release notes says:
	"This Product Support Kit (PSK Q2-91) provides software
	 support that was not available with SR10.3.  It includes
	 software for the X11 R4 server ..."

So, all its only the server. So, when do we get the clients. Perhaps
I'll load up the ADUS X11R4 tape and recompile the clients from them.
*Sigh*
--
Douglas Keenan Rand                Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone: +1 602 436 2814               US Snail: P.O. Box 21111 Phoenix AZ 85036

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) (03/25/91)

In article <9103211806.AA17987@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com> rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>** ARRGGHH **
>
>I just loaded up PSK Q2 (why is it called PSK Q2?) and I found 3
>executables in /usr/X11/bin:
>	dmtox
>	mwm
>	x11start
>
>Where are the clients? Like xterm and the such. These are required for
>X11R4 support.

I am still not sure whether HPollo screws its customers on purpose ...

Boy, I'm so fed up with Hpollo and (especially) their suits, you can't
imagine. Just what good is an X11R4 server if

	*) you need a US keyboard with ALT keys?
		- most sites I know have plenty of old keyboards
		w/o ALT keys! Ok, we are being told that it should
		work OK with the old keyboards as well, but what
		guarantees do we have that it works? if it won't work,
		we'll be told: `look, it's all in the release notes'

	*) no clients
		mwm doesn't work for us anyway (4 plane bitmap, too
		few colors), so its 0 clients.

	*) no include files
		so you can't even get the client sources from MIT and
		compile them yourself!

Just how stupid do the suits at HP think Apollo customers are? Are we
second class customers because we are not so fond of HP-SUX?
I am wondering we people keep buying Apollos (do they sell any more of
them?)

Here comes the first full POSIX compatible Domain/OS implementation
(sr 23.7 ;-)

int
_every_function(...)
{
	errno = Esomething;

	return -1;
}

[ Yes, if you document that a call won't work on your system, and
return an error number, you are still POSIX compliant, or so I've been
told ...]

Rightfully, HP suits could then claim that `this OS works within the
specification' (their most favorite answer to APRs), if they document
it in the release notes...

				bye,
					mike

PS: another good APR std answer (especially when it comes to X problems):
`get source from MIT/uunet/whatever and compile yourself' - just why are
we buying their OS? after all, we `could get the source from UCB
ourselves'.

Michael K. Gschwind, Dept. of VLSI-Design, Vienna University of Technology
mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at	1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door
mike@vlsivie.uucp		5-6-7-8 innovate don't litigate
e182202@awituw01.bitnet		9-A-B-C interfaces should be free
Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144	D-E-F-O look and feel has got to go!
Fax:   (++43).1.569697          #include <std_disclaimer.blabla>

kumorek@apollo.HP.COM (James Kumorek) (03/26/91)

In article <9103211806.AA17987@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com>,
rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
|> ** ARRGGHH **
|>
|> I just loaded up PSK Q2 (why is it called PSK Q2?) and I found 3
|> executables in /usr/X11/bin:
|> 	dmtox
|> 	mwm
|> 	x11start
|>
|> Where are the clients? Like xterm and the such. These are required for
|> X11R4 support.
|>
|> Ok, Ok. The release notes says:
|> 	"This Product Support Kit (PSK Q2-91) provides software
|> 	 support that was not available with SR10.3.  It includes
|> 	 software for the X11 R4 server ..."
|>
|> So, all its only the server. So, when do we get the clients. Perhaps
|> I'll load up the ADUS X11R4 tape and recompile the clients from them.
|> *Sigh*

Perhaps I don;t understand your question, but X11R4 is a PSK that is installed
on top of SR10.3.  SR10.3 has all the X clients that we support (like
xterm and such),
so you already have those.

Am I missing the point?

Jim Kumorek
Apollo Computer, Inc. - A subsidiary of Hewlett Packard
kumorek@apollo.hp.com

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) (03/26/91)

In article <509485af.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> kumorek@apollo.HP.COM (James Kumorek) writes:
>Perhaps I don;t understand your question, but X11R4 is a PSK that is installed
>on top of SR10.3.  SR10.3 has all the X clients that we support (like
>xterm and such),
>so you already have those.
>
>Am I missing the point?

Yes and no. From what the release notes say, you are completely right.
HPollo sells the X11R4 server, no more, no less (well a bit less. no
supported old keyboards). From this point of view you are completely
right. HPollo never promised anything more.

BUT: X11R4 is normally though of as a bit more than just the X server.
It consists of lots of clients and much contributed software (which
come w/ Solbournes, for example). Now, when I (and it seems like most
others on the net) think of X11R4 I don't think of the server, I think
of the _whole_ distribution (#include <include files>). It's always a
neat idea to say so and so is not supported (the only HPollo supported
clients are xterm and uwm, as far as I can remember). This is exactly
the point the previous poster seems to have made! Seems like your
customers want supported X clients (for R4, not R3, some clients have
changed! (see xeyes)) and include files.

>Jim Kumorek
>Apollo Computer, Inc. - A subsidiary of Hewlett Packard
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Things have most certainly gotten worse since the suits took over!!!!
>kumorek@apollo.hp.com

			bye,
				mike

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/26/91)

In article <2388@tuvie.UUCP>, mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) writes:

  	*) no include files
  		so you can't even get the client sources from MIT and
  		compile them yourself!

Sure you can.  Get the include files from MIT too.

Think of the psk as a pre-release.  It's a way of getting the r4 server into
customer hands before the real release.  It may seem a little slow to you,
but there are other vendors out there that also haven't released r4 yet.

I would much rather they ship a server with no clients than the other way
around.  I can make clients.  I can't make servers.

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (03/27/91)

In article <2389@tuvie.UUCP> mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) writes:

   In article <509485af.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM> kumorek@apollo.HP.COM (James Kumorek) writes:
   >Perhaps I don;t understand your question, but X11R4 is a PSK that is installed
   >on top of SR10.3.  SR10.3 has all the X clients that we support (like
   >xterm and such),
   >so you already have those.
   >
   >Am I missing the point?

   Yes and no. From what the release notes say, you are completely right.
   [...]
   Seems like your
   customers want supported X clients (for R4, not R3, some clients have
   changed! (see xeyes)) and include files.

More importantly, in my experience an R3 xterm or emacs dies if you
try to access their menus on an R4 server.  (Specifically, meaning
standard Apollo xterm and Emacs 18.55 compiled with standard Apollo
libraries and the MIT R4 Xapollo server).

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

rand@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com (03/27/91)

> Perhaps I don;t understand your question, but X11R4 is a PSK that is installed
> on top of SR10.3.  SR10.3 has all the X clients that we support (like
> xterm and such), so you already have those.

Right. I already have the R3 clients, they came with SR10.2 and
SR10.3. But I don't have the R4 clients that I was expecting with this
PSK.  They are different. One visible difference is that the R4 xterm
has actions defined for scrolling that can be bound to keys. Just like
mterm. There are many other advantages that the R4 clients have.

So the only way to get the R4 clients is to get the MIT tape and
compile them myself. (As Michael K. Gschwind says: "Just why are we
buying their OS?")

After talking to a very friendly person at HP/Apollo who helped me get
the hot key running with Xdomain I learned that there will be a
PSKQ3-91 that will have the R4 clients and the developers stuff too.
(Include files and libraries and the such.) So, all we gotta do is
wait for the third quarter.

Now, I don't mind much that HP/Apollo split up the R4 releases into
the server and the rest. I'll deal with the difficulties to get the R4
server quicker. But, it would have been nice if they would have told
us what was really going on.

--

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (03/27/91)

In article <509485af.20b6d@apollo.HP.COM>, kumorek@apollo.HP.COM (James Kumorek) writes:

  Perhaps I don;t understand your question, but X11R4 is a PSK that is installed
  on top of SR10.3.  SR10.3 has all the X clients that we support (like
  xterm and such),
  so you already have those.

  Am I missing the point?

As far as I can tell, sr10.3 doesn't include any r4 clients or libraries at
all.  Did I miss something?  Where are they?  The clients in /usr/bin/X11
all seem to be r3.

craig@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Craig Durland) (03/29/91)

Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:
> More importantly, in my experience an R3 xterm or emacs dies if you try
> to access their menus on an R4 server.  (Specifically, meaning standard
> Apollo xterm and Emacs 18.55 compiled with standard Apollo libraries and
> the MIT R4 Xapollo server).

That is because R3 xterm has a bug in it that MIT checks for in R4.  The
XGrabPointer call has an invalid mask.  To get around this (ie you don't
wanna fix the bug in the clients), run the R4 server in "bug
compatability" mode:  "Xdomain bc".  This bug has nothing to do with the
libraries or anything else and is very easy to fix or work around.

    Craig Durland       (503) 750-3354
    Hewlett-Packard, 1000 NE Circle, Corvallis, OR 97330
    craig@cv.hp.com