[comp.sys.apollo] Runaway inits

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (03/28/91)

OK, so I did a ps and found that my problem was inits growing without
bound.  The two init processes had grown to 32MB each, on a 16MB
machine.  What do I do about it?  Do I kill the processes?  How
do I keep them from coming back?  Does the problem go away at 10.3p?

Thanks.

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (03/28/91)

Help!  My /etc/init processes on my DN10k are growing without bound.
They reach 15MB after six hours.  I checked my /etc/ttys file, and
found no serial line tty's turned on, so I don't think that's
the problem.

I remember seeing a fix posted here, but ignored it because I though
it wouldn't happen to me if it hadn't happened so far.  Well it has!
So could some kind soul help me out?  The machine has become
completely unusable.

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (03/29/91)

I definitely have the runaway init problem, but it seems to be
of a different flavor from that previously reported.  My /etc/ttys
file has no spuriously "on" lines (Nothing is attached to any
of the serial ports, and they are all "off" so far as I can see>

My process list and my /etc/ttys file follows.  Anybody notice
anything?  Notice that I seem to have TWO init processes running,
which is strange.  Notice also that the inits have grown to
23MB (after about 24 hours).

% ps -uax
USER       PID   SZ  RSS TTY     STAT  TIME COMMAND
root         123040   24 ?       S <   1:16 /etc/init
root         2    0    0 ?       R   1012:28 null
root         3    0    0 ?       S     0:28 purifier
root         4    0    0 ?       S     0:00 purifier
root         5    0    0 ?       S     0:32 unwired_dxm
root         6    0    0 ?       S     0:00 pinger
root         7    0    0 ?       S     0:26 netreceive
root         8    0    0 ?       S     0:05 netpaging
root         9    0    0 ?       S     0:24 wired_dxm
root        10    0    0 ?       S     0:01 netrequest
root       276 5632   39 ?       S     3:00 /etc/tcpd
root       284 6144    7 ?       S     0:00 /etc/inetd
root       287 7168    0 ?       S     0:00 /etc/ncs/llbd
root       289 8704   22 ?       S     0:57 /etc/ncs/glbd
root       292 7168   59 ?       S <   1:08 /etc/rgyd
user       295 6144    0 ?       S     0:00 /etc/portmap
root       297 6144    0 ?       S     0:03 /etc/mountd
rtp1       299 8192    0 ?       S     0:18 /etc/nfsd
sys_pers   304 9728    0 ?       S <   0:01 dm
root      438023040  732 ?       S     0:00 /etc/init
root      4317 7680   10 ttyp0   S     0:03 telnetd
yang      4318 5632   58 ttyp0   S     0:01 -csh
yang      437310240  296 ttyp0   R     1:18 advec41
root      4363 7680   39 ttyp1   S     0:00 telnetd
rtp1      4364 5632   38 ttyp1   S     0:00 -csh
rtp1      4381 6656   60 ttyp1   R     0:00 ps -uax
% more /etc/ttys
#
# ttys - terminal initialization data
#
#device getty/program           term    on/off  other flags     comment

console "/etc/dm_or_spm"        apollo  on      secure          # use mkcon to r
edirect console output
display none                    apollo  off     secure          # DM pad devices
tty01   none                    dumb    off     secure
tty02   none                    dumb    off     secure
tty03   none                    dumb    off     secure
ttyp0   none                    dumb    on      secure
ttyp1   none                    dumb    on      secure
ttyp2   none                    dumb    on      secure
ttyp3   none                    dumb    on      secure
ttyp4   none                    dumb    on      secure

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (03/29/91)

In posting <1991Mar28.165338.14067@midway.uchicago.edu> raymond thomas pierrehumbert writes:

> I definitely have the runaway init problem, but it seems to be
> of a different flavor from that previously reported.  My /etc/ttys
> file has no spuriously "on" lines (Nothing is attached to any
> of the serial ports, and they are all "off" so far as I can see>
>
> My process list and my /etc/ttys file follows.  Anybody notice
> anything?  Notice that I seem to have TWO init processes running,
> which is strange.  Notice also that the inits have grown to
> 23MB (after about 24 hours).
[ stuff deleted ]
> % more /etc/ttys
> #
> # ttys - terminal initialization data
> #
> #device getty/program           term    on/off  other flags     comment
>
> console "/etc/dm_or_spm"        apollo  on      secure          # use mkcon to r
> edirect console output
> display none                    apollo  off     secure          # DM pad devices
> tty01   none                    dumb    off     secure
> tty02   none                    dumb    off     secure
> tty03   none                    dumb    off     secure
> ttyp0   none                    dumb    on      secure
> ttyp1   none                    dumb    on      secure
> ttyp2   none                    dumb    on      secure
> ttyp3   none                    dumb    on      secure
> ttyp4   none                    dumb    on      secure

Raymond, your "ttys" file is causing your problem. Do NOT turn "on"
ports enabled for telnet/rlogin (the "ttyp?" things). These are
managed by "/etc/inetd" and not "/etc/init". When you turn them
"on" you have both "init" and "inetd" fighting over them, thus the
runaway init problem. The only reason for putting "ttyp?" pseudo-ttys
in your "ttys" file is to flag them as "secure". Otherwise leave them
out and just let inetd take care of them. Here's what you want your
ttys file to look like:

 % more /etc/ttys
 #
 # ttys - terminal initialization data
 #
 #device getty/program           term    on/off  other flags     comment

 console "/etc/dm_or_spm"        apollo  on      secure          # use mkcon to r
 edirect console output
 display none                    apollo  off     secure          # DM pad devices
 tty01   none                    dumb    off     secure
 tty02   none                    dumb    off     secure
 tty03   none                    dumb    off     secure
 ttyp0   none                    dumb    off     secure
 ttyp1   none                    dumb    off     secure
 ttyp2   none                    dumb    off     secure
 ttyp3   none                    dumb    off     secure
 ttyp4   none                    dumb    off     secure

Dave Funk