[comp.sys.apollo] DM Like Editor written for X -> Wanted

turner@ssdt-tempe.sps.mot.com (Robert Turner) (03/29/91)

I'm looking for an editor that is as simple and yet as powerful as
the dm editor.  Any suggestions?  If you're going to suggest emacs
or vi, please lay down till the headache passes.

Robert

--
Robert Turner (602) 897-5441 Semiconductor Systems Design Technology, Motorola
turner@ssdt-tempe.sps.mot.com   OR   ...!uunet!dover!turner

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (03/29/91)

> I'm looking for an editor that is as simple and yet as powerful as
> the dm editor.  Any suggestions?  If you're going to suggest emacs
> or vi, please lay down till the headache passes.
There isn't one.  Unless you have the DM going so that you can move your cursor
by moving the mouse, have the DM going and keydefs set up so that any (every?)
key can do exactly what you want it to (there are almost 400 keydefs possible)),
have a DM command prompt so you can easily do searches, substitutes, etc, you
won't have one as powerful.  Maybe in a couple years, OSF will get a decent
user interface, and the standard will be as good as what we're giving up.  <sob>

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Me?  Represent Honeywell?  You've GOT to be kidding!!!

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (03/29/91)

Sigh! I wanted an X, Motiff, Open Look, whatever, editor to be included
in HP/Apollo's HP Vue for a long time. So has Doug Eltof, the ADUS president,
so have a few thousand other Apollo users. We have asked, we have pleaded,
we have made it an item in the engineering directives session of the annual
ADUS conference for a couple of years running ... and we get no action. We've
asked for it to be included in the base OSF offering (so that HP could not make
the argument that "it wouldn't be standard" -- like HP Vue is standard!) -- and
we get no response.

At my department of MIT everyone is going over to Sun's, the Apollo users included.
As soon as they get on them, the first question they ask is, "how can we get an
Apollo-like editor and window manager?" I tell them they can't -- the Apollo's
editor is built into the window manager, which is why we have global cut,copy, and
paste functions on every application program -- not just those X applications who
happen to implement these functions. Then they ask me to write a simple, Apollo-like
editor just for work with a single file, and I turn them down because it's not my
job (yet) to take care of the Suns -- I've got my hands full with the Apollos. Then
they ask why all the professors are buying Suns instead of Apollos, and I answer that
the Apollo DM window manager and the integrated editor are going to be going away
anyhow -- that HP has made it *real* clear that GPR, the transcript pads, the DM,
and all the other non-X, non-Motiff, non-HP Vue features are slated for the scrap
heap. I explain that the latest HP/Apollo hardware will not run Domain/OS (not
even SR11), only HP-UX and OSF so that buying new Apollo gear will not help the
situation.

They go away unhappy ... to their Sun Sparcstations. Which they are buying
because that is what everyone else in geology, geophysics, physical oceanography,
and meteorology is buying -- because at least they will have 100% compatibility
with their collegue's machine even if it doesn't have the features they want --
because they can't even get the features they want from HP.

Write HP and APR. Yes, I know that HP tends to ignore APR's or to give flipant
answers like "we meant to remove this useful feature, therefore it's not a
problem" ... but if no one speaks up except the 30 or 40 really pushy people
who tend to corner Rose O'Donnell (hi, Rose! ;-) ) each year at the ADUS
conference, then HP thinks that the DM editor functions are only of importance
to a bunch of crufty, old, Aegis users who don't buy enough machines to be
of any importance. Write an APR. Write a letter addressed to HP management
in addition (so they can't ignore just the APR). Get your co-workers to
write additional APR's and letters. Get your friends to write them. Send
*seperate* copies. Bury them in paper until they get the idea. If you do not
know to whom to send your letter, send me a copy and I (as ADUS VP for special
interest groups with the responsibility for the engineering directions session
at the up coming ADUS conference) will personally forward the letters to
Jack Novia. Make the letter's short and to the point ... "I want DM style
editing on all future HP offerings. Without this feature, HP has no value
added over other similar X-Windows based Unix offerrings ..."

If only twenty letters get written, it won't count. If two hundred get
written, it will make an impression.

== David M. Krowitz
   ADUS VP for SIG's
   MIT Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences Dept.
   room 54-527
   Cambridge, MA 02139

wjw@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (03/31/91)

In article <9103291546.AA08208@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
=>If only twenty letters get written, it won't count. If two hundred get
=>written, it will make an impression.
=>

Hi Dave,
Counting down.

Dear Mr/Ms Hp Apollo,

With this letter I would like to urge you to start implemeting an editor
a la DM-editor. It should include at least the global screenwide
cut and paste features found in the current DOMAIN/OS editor.
As would it be nice to keep the powerfull features given in the command
language.

Regards,
	Willem Jan Withagen

Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10
P.O. 513                             Tel: +31-40-473401
5600 MB Eindhoven                    The Netherlands

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (04/02/91)

In article <9103291546.AA08208@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:

>If only twenty letters get written, it won't count. If two hundred get
>written, it will make an impression.

Sounds like it's time for another NetPower letter again. Perhaps instead of
writting letters from two hundred old Apollo diehards, we could write one
letter with consent of net users and have two hundreds or more signatures.
Any volunteer?
--
Jinfu Chen                  (602)898-5338
Motorola, Inc.  SPS  Mesa, AZ