[comp.sys.apollo] Motif 1.1 for Apollos?

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (03/30/91)

We're using Motif 1.0 on Apollo 3500's and are having some problems,
the latest appearing to be a memory-trashing error down inside Motif
someplace.  I'm not sure about this, but we have heard various comment
on Motif 1.0's general flakiness ...

Is there a Motif 1.1 implementation available for this machine?  Does
this absolutely require X11R4, or does it work with R3?

Thanks in advance.
--
Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
+1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...

In article <1991Mar29.195934.9143@intek01.uucp> mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>We're using Motif 1.0 on Apollo 3500's and are having some problems,
>the latest appearing to be a memory-trashing error down inside Motif
>someplace.  I'm not sure about this, but we have heard various comment
>on Motif 1.0's general flakiness ...
Yep.

>Is there a Motif 1.1 implementation available for this machine?  Does
>this absolutely require X11R4, or does it work with R3?
You don't need X11R4 at all, although performance will be better.
You may, however, have problems with share-mode X, particularly with
regard to keyboard and mouse focus and event handling.  It'll depend
on the details of your application - I can give more detail if you want.

As for a 1.1 implementation.  The easiest thing to do is go buy the
source.  Be sure to at least get the limited support license.

>mark@intek.com    		Ask me about C++!
Okay, I'm asking.

--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) (03/31/91)

mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) writes:

>We're using Motif 1.0 on Apollo 3500's and are having some problems,
>the latest appearing to be a memory-trashing error down inside Motif
>someplace.  I'm not sure about this ...

... and a good thing, too, since it turned out to be my problem. (*blush*)

I'm still interested in Motif 1.1, though.  Thanks.
--

julie@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Julie Skeen) (04/03/91)

> / hpcvlx:comp.sys.apollo / mark@intek01.uucp (Mark McWiggins) / 11:59 am  Mar 29, 1991 /
> We're using Motif 1.0 on Apollo 3500's and are having some problems,

> Is there a Motif 1.1 implementation available for this machine?  Does
> this absolutely require X11R4, or does it work with R3?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Mark McWiggins			Integration Technologies, Inc. (Intek)
> +1 206 455 9935			DISCLAIMER:  I could be wrong ...
> 1400 112th Ave SE #202		Bellevue WA  98004
> mark@intek.com    		Ask me about C++!
> ----------

HP/Apollo will have a Motif1.1 developers kit product early in the summer.
As stated earlier, an R4 server isn't a requirement, but it will be faster.

Julie

ronv@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Ronald Voll) (04/03/91)

The Motif 1.1 product for Domain is called the "User Environment
Developer's Lit" (UEDK).  It is in beta right now and should be
available to customers at the beginning of June.

The UEDK contains all you need to develope Motif 1.1 applications
on Domain using archived libraries.  The shared libraries associated
with X11 R4 and Motif 1.1 will be available sometime in the summer
with pskq3_91 (which is about to go to beta).