[comp.sys.apollo] PRISM II cancellation?

rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) (04/04/91)

I have received information via somebody who has PRISM II upgrade
for the DN10K on order that this upgrade has been cancelled
as a product.  A recently as a month ago, I had heard from
"deep background" sources that the upgrade was now in beta.

Could somebody please confirm or deny the rumor of the death
of PRISM II?  If PRISM II is being cancelled, is HP/A going
to do something to compensate us DN10K suckers for machines
which will be (even more) obsolete overnight?

When I bought my 10k, various Apollo press releases were
holding out promises of doubling the performance every year
with board swaps.  This was one of the things that made
the 10k look attractive against other platforms.  IBM
made similar announcements when it released its R6000
product line, and so far they have made good on their
upgrade claims.  You can draw your own conclusions from
this as to whom to bet your future on.
.

jaenicke@w414zrz.zrz.tu-berlin.de (Lutz Jaenicke) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr3.172350.10191@midway.uchicago.edu> rtp1@quads.uchicago.edu (raymond thomas pierrehumbert) writes:

>When I bought my 10k, various Apollo press releases were
>holding out promises of doubling the performance every year
>with board swaps.  This was one of the things that made
>the 10k look attractive against other platforms.

Me too, as I could read in "Markt & Technik" (a german publication), HPollo
announced a new PRISM-release to be shipped in 1991. I remember a discussion
about HPollo's policy in late 1990 in this newsgroup. I think the near end
of PRISM and DOMAIN/OS development was stated. I wouldn't be too surprised
to hear about the end of PRISM :-(, since the performance of HP9000/700 series
looks much the same as PRISM II. Therefore HP would be it's own competitor.
But what of us DN10K owners?
Since it is not that easy to get all information published in american
journals when you are working far in europe, I would like to see some
clear statements in this news group.
	Lutz Jaenicke
--
 Lutz Jaenicke  (jaenicke@w414zrz.ee.tu-berlin.de)
 Institut fuer Elektrische Maschinen, Technische Universitaet Berlin

waldram@WOLF.UWYO.EDU (04/04/91)

March 28, I heard the 2x upgrades would be available in late April/early May.
Jim Waldram
University of Wyoming