[comp.sys.apollo] Diskless node packet size limits?

hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/03/91)

	I am running two diskless 2500's from a disked 2500 over Ethernet and
via a bridge.  The bridge is PCBRIDGE, an AT&T 6300 with two WD8003 boards
running Vance Morrison's public-domain PCBRIDGE code.

	When the 2500's were all side-by-side, performance of the diskless
machines was fairly respectable ... booting was reasonably fast, etc.  Now that
they have the bridge between them (for security reasons), they require 20
minutes to boot and frequently hang in the process.

	It *SEEMS* clear that the problem is in the bridge.  We suspect that
the 8K buffer limit in the WD boards is a major problem, one that Morrison
noted in conjunction with NFS support.

	One solution would seem to be to replace the bridge: not easy to do
because of financial constraints.

	Another solution might be to tell netman to use small packets.  I
cannot find man pages or manual entries for netman parameters: are there any
options?  It appears that the diskless systems actually generate the requests
and netman merely responds: if that's the case, is there any way to limit the
packet sizes on diskless nodes as they boot?

	Thanks for any help you can offer.

					David Todd, Wesleyan University

mort@apollo.HP.COM (Stephen Moriarty) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr2.211328.41202@eagle.wesleyan.edu> hdtodd@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>	Another solution might be to tell netman to use small packets.  I
>cannot find man pages or manual entries for netman parameters: are there any
>options?  It appears that the diskless systems actually generate the requests
>and netman merely responds: if that's the case, is there any way to limit the
>packet sizes on diskless nodes as they boot?

        The only option to netman is -db. When netman is run in a
window, the -db option tells it to display more verbose
information regarding the replies netman makes.

        As for regulation of packet size, netman gives replies of
a size requested by its client. Therefore, as you suspect, it is
netboot that must ask for smaller replies. This is not
configurable. Note also, that it is the number of pages
requested, not the packet size, that netboot specifies.

        Finally, as you are no doubt well aware, placing a bridge
between a diskless node and its paging partner is not a supported
configuration.

ARPA: mort@apollo.hp.com        UUCP: ...{decvax, umix, mit-eddie}!apollo!mort
Apollo, a subsidiary of Hewlett Packard, 300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA. 01824
              Argue for your limitations, and they are yours.