[comp.sys.apollo] Homedir in NFS-mount

Hannu.Martikka@lut.fi (Hannu Martikka) (04/10/91)

Has anyone tied to have user homedirs in NFS mounted directory?
Since we have only limited amount of apollo disk it could be nice to
have users homedirs in some other computer (in our case hp9000).

--

Regards from Goodi
Internet: Hannu.Martikka@lut.fi	/ \

wjw@ebh.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (04/10/91)

In article <HANNU.MARTIKKA.91Apr10101024@kannel.lut.fi>, Hannu.Martikka@lut.fi (Hannu Martikka) writes:
=> Has anyone tied to have user homedirs in NFS mounted directory?
=> Since we have only limited amount of apollo disk it could be nice to
=> have users homedirs in some other computer (in our case hp9000).

That would not be a very wise thing to do. The Apollo file system is typed :) which
you cannot say for the NFS-filesystem. Making executables on an NFS-system is possible
but they do not ave the type 'coff'.
And there are a lot of tools which are dependant on the filetype info.

(Note that I have executed files which i got with bin-ftp, and that doesn't
give you coff files either)

Willem Jan Withagen.
--
Eindhoven University of Technology   DomainName:  wjw@eb.ele.tue.nl
Digital Systems Group, Room EH 10.10

mjf@mjm.mjm.com (Mark Fresolone) (04/11/91)

>/ mjm:comp.sys.apollo / Hannu.Martikka@lut.fi (Hannu Martikka) /  3:10 am  Apr 10, 1991 /
>Has anyone tied to have user homedirs in NFS mounted directory?
>Since we have only limited amount of apollo disk it could be nice to
>have users homedirs in some other computer (in our case hp9000).
>Regards from Goodi

In the volitile (and somewhat lax) environment of a field engineering outfit,
we maintained NFS-mounted user directories for a while.  One trick we used
for the case where our server was down was to implement (very) minimal home
directories and environments on the local file system "under" the same HOME
path names.  (If there is a /users/joe/File on the local file system, and
one NFS-mounts onto /users, file "File" becomes inaccessable.)  When the
remote FS was mounted, we got real HOMEs.  When unavailable, we just got
our profiles, but we could at least work in some cases, and read mail,
news, etc.

Mark Fresolone					mjf@mjm.com, rutgers!mjm!mjf
Melillo Consulting/MJM Software			908-873-0075/Fax 908-873-2250

wjw@ebh.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (04/11/91)

In article <1720001@mjm.mjm.com>, mjf@mjm.mjm.com (Mark Fresolone) writes:
=> >/ mjm:comp.sys.apollo / Hannu.Martikka@lut.fi (Hannu Martikka) /  3:10 am  Apr 10, 1991 /
=> >Has anyone tied to have user homedirs in NFS mounted directory?
=> >Since we have only limited amount of apollo disk it could be nice to
=> >have users homedirs in some other computer (in our case hp9000).
=>
=> In the volitile (and somewhat lax) environment of a field engineering outfit,
=> we maintained NFS-mounted user directories for a while.  One trick we used
=> for the case where our server was down was to implement (very) minimal home
=> directories and environments on the local file system "under" the same HOME
=> path names.

As far as I understand the NFS on Apollo, is this not possible.
The SUN-NFS version requires an already existing directory to mount the
NFS-system on.

THe Apollo-NFS requires that this directory does not yet exist. When mounting
something NFS in it's place. An entry in the parent directory get the
file-type nfs_gate. (aren't typed file-systems handy).
And as far as I know, is there nothing one can do with this object except us
as NFS-gate to the foreign file system.

Ciao,
	Willem Jan