[comp.sys.apollo] Sendmail problem on 10.3 update

yman@fee3.vut.edu.au (Y.M. NG) (04/09/91)

We have just upgraded one of our 3500s from SR10.2.4 (with aegis, bsd and sysv)
to 10.3. (with aegis, bsd and sysv). The 10.3 release note stated that all
program compiled on 10.2 will work under 10.3 without recompilation.
The standard sendmail program from HP was replaced by  sendmail version 5.65+/1.34.
This version has been and is still working happily with 10.2. The occasional
lost of mail was due to /bin/mail as reported on the net.

After the upgrade the sendmail-5.65+1.34 on SR10.3 will receive and deliver mail
to user as before. But it will report lost of child process to the sender's
sendmail program. See below for last 4 lines of the transcript.

>>> DATA
Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
>>> .
Ok
>>> QUIT
SMTP-MAIL: lost child: No child processes
yman@fees... Sent

The mail is then returned to the sender with the following message.

From MAILER-DAEMON@fees.vut.edu.au Mon Apr  8 14:10:42 1991
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 91 14:10:16 +1000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@fees.vut.edu.au (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: Returned mail: Internal error
To: yman@fee3.vut.edu.au

451 endmailer mail: wait: No child processes
554 <yman@fees.vut.edu.au>... Internal error

I have recompiled sendmail-5.65 but the same error persisted.

Is this a known problem or is there something wrong with the update?
I am tempted to install 10.3 from scratch.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
--
Yauman NG                               E-mail: yman@fees.vut.edu.au
Dept of Electrical Engineering, FIT     Tel: (03) 688-4724

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (04/09/91)

yman@fee3.vut.edu.au (Y.M. NG) writes:

>We have just upgraded one of our 3500s from SR10.2.4 (with aegis, bsd and sysv)
>
>After the upgrade the sendmail-5.65+1.34 on SR10.3 will receive and deliver mail
>to user as before. But it will report lost of child process to the sender's
>sendmail program. See below for last 4 lines of the transcript.

This is caused by inconsistent use of SIGCLD and SIGCHLD within sendmail.
Because these are now separate signals for the same event, two different
signal catchers get set up.  It then becomes a race as to which handler gets
the signal.  The fix is to change all occurences of SIGCLD to SIGCHLD in the
sources and add the conditional

#ifndef SIGCHLD
# define SIGCHLD	SIGCLD
#endif /* !SIGCHLD */

to useful.h after all #include statements.

/pbp
--
         Paul Pomes

UUCP: {att,iuvax,uunet}!uiucuxc!paul   Internet, BITNET: paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801-2910

carlson@uucp (Carlson Peters) (04/09/91)

>SMTP-MAIL: lost child: No child processes
>yman@fees... Sent

We had the same problem. Unfortunately, I can't tell you much since the guy
who actually took care of it is on vacation.  If I recall correctly, sendmail
is ok but there is an operating system bug where the parent is not notified
of its child's demise. Apollo seemed aware of the problem but I don't know
if that means they are doing something about it.  We got around it by
modifying the sendmail source code slightly.  The guy who did this will be back
next week.  If you still need help buzz me then.

--
Carlson Peters
(213) 481-7898

yman@fee3.vut.edu.au (Y.M. NG) (04/11/91)

Thanks for the help. The replies convinced me that I have not updated
the OS incorrectly. I have tried a few other things without success.
Finally I decided to give this problem a last shot by installing
the very latest sendmail-5.65b+IDA-1.4.2 .... and it works without
the silly error message.