[comp.sys.apollo] DM/Apollo "filec"

atosswil@BBN.COM (Andy Tosswill) (04/13/91)

>Date: 12 Apr 91 12:19:53 GMT
>From: Jim Rees <agate!bionet!uwm.edu!rpi!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!caen!umich!terminator!dabo.citi.umich.edu!rees@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: Type-ahead in unix
>To: apollo@umix.cc.umich.edu

[...]
>You hated it because you're still thinking of it as a vt100 emulator.  DM
>pads are not vt100s.  If you want a vt100, start one up -- I recommend
>xterm.

	Speaking of vt100 emulation: when I try to use the csh "filec"
facility on an Apollo, the command line is not redisplayed correctly:

When I type ^D:

hubble 1% ls .l^D
.login    .logout
hubble 1%	<- No redisplay, should be ls .l
	  ^^^^^
or <ESC>:

hubble 1% ls .a<ESC>
hubble 1% ls ias <- Incorrect redisplay, should be ls .alias
	  ^^^^^

	However, the command line buffer is correct, as typing <return>
issues the correct command:

hubble 1% ls ias
.alias
hubble 2%

	This happens on both vt100 emulation run from a DM pad, and also
with telnet logins using vt100 emulation. I have checked my stty
settings and they are the same as on some other machines on which filec
works correctly for me (e.g., Sun and SGI).

	Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

-- Andy

--------
Andy Tosswill (atosswil@bbn.com)
BBN Systems and Technologies, Advanced Simulation
14100 SE 36th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006 USA
Phone: 206 746 6800 Fax: 206 746 1335

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (04/14/91)

In article <9104122237.AA03888@engin.umich.edu> atosswil@BBN.COM (Andy Tosswill) writes:
>	Speaking of vt100 emulation: when I try to use the csh "filec"
>facility on an Apollo, the command line is not redisplayed correctly.

"Filec" is broken (and has always been broken at SR10), though HPollo
claims that it works as of SR10.2 - well, it does work, but you have to
use the "rprnt" key (^R by default, but we change it to ^_ since ^R is
used to redraw the screen in vi on terminals where ^L is used for cursor
right) to see the completed line. We have given up on this being fixed,
and don't use it, though many users want it (must be "performing to
specification" :-) ). I have an APR from SR10.0 on this one.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

atosswil@BBN.COM (Andy Tosswill) (04/16/91)

Folks,
	Thanks to those who responded to my query on csh "filec"
Domain/OS. As I suspected, it's broken and probably won't be fixed any
time soon.
	I have previously used the ^R (rprnt) work-around that several
people suggested, but I was hoping that there was a fix that would make
filec work correctly.

-- Andy

--------