[comp.sys.apollo] Response to Essay: Apollo display manager and editor.

etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) (04/20/91)

ok, here's my $0.02 worth on the "better is better?"
issue.

Better really is better, *as long as* we have a standard
(or at least a convention) to fall back on.

A case in point: The apollo ACLs are a good idea, but I
don't like being forced to trust that /sys/node_data is
secure despite all rwxrwxrwx+ permissions I see there.

Another: The built-in, point-and-click DM file viewer and
editor is WONDERFUL, but I and a few others here still
have uses for vi, and we'd be happier if didn't wreak havoc
in a pad.  The DM is fine, except when it makes background
jobs a pain to use. So what(!) if apollos were supposed to
be single-user machines?! Some single users would like to
be able to log out while their jobs run.

Prf is fine, for the few printers it supports, but lpd/lpr
can be made to work with lots of cheap and common devices that
many of us have and would like to continue to use.

I am reminded of an article I read yesterday, in either
Unix Review or Personal Workstation (I think), which
discussed the merits of a "both/and" attitude rather
than an "either/or" attitude. Yes, I know that it's more
difficult and more expensive to design a product that is
both "Better" and "Able to be Conventional," but some
customers can't afford the leap of faith required to
buy something that may be "Better," but will make
their previous investment of *time and effort* (as well
as money) obsolete.

Yeah, maybe "it's always been this way." That doesn't
mean everybody's happy about it, and it doesn't mean
it has to stay that way.

So, that's my bandwidth for the day.

else does, and customers run after them waving money,
well...too bad.
--
Eric Bushnell
Univ of Washington Civil Engineering

In article <1991Apr19.174125.24438@milton.u.washington.edu> etb@milton.u.washington.edu (Eric Bushnell) writes:

>else does, and customers run after them waving money,
>well...too bad.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Such sloppy editing!  8-)

I assume most of you ignored that bit of supposed-to-be-deleted
gibberish.