[comp.sys.apollo] X11R4 Server

kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) (02/19/91)

In article <101020020@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:

>> I have not tried twm in unshared mode.  Are you using the Apollo r3 or r4
>> server, the MIT r4 server, or something else?
>
>FYI - ri.apollo.pskq2_91.v.10.3 has the new X11R4 "borrow mode" server.
>
>Thomas Gilg
>tomg@hpcvxph.cv.hp.com

Question: is this "borrow mode" server the standard MIT configuration,
or does it have the "hot key" DM support that I've heard about for
Domain/OS SR11?

--
--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
Ken Smelcer        Glenayre Corp.           quintro!kts@lll-winken

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (02/20/91)

>> FYI - ri.apollo.pskq2_91.v.10.3 has the new X11R4 "borrow mode" server.

> Question: is this "borrow mode" server the standard MIT configuration,
> or does it have the "hot key" DM support that I've heard about for
> Domain/OS SR11?

The new server /etc/Xdomain uses hot keys to toggle the display between
X and the DM.   Though both are active, only one has ownership of the
display/keyboard/mouse at any one time.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

rees@pisa.ifs.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.195327.6017@quintro.uucp>, kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) writes:

  Question: is this "borrow mode" server the standard MIT configuration,
  or does it have the "hot key" DM support that I've heard about for
  Domain/OS SR11?

It runs with the DM and uses a key to switch between them.

In article <101020022@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:

>>> FYI - ri.apollo.pskq2_91.v.10.3 has the new X11R4 "borrow mode" server.
>
>> Question: is this "borrow mode" server the standard MIT configuration,
>> or does it have the "hot key" DM support that I've heard about for
>> Domain/OS SR11?
>
>The new server /etc/Xdomain uses hot keys to toggle the display between
>X and the DM.   Though both are active, only one has ownership of the
>display/keyboard/mouse at any one time.

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm not going to like the answer to this question.

Does cut and paste between the two still work?
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.		|	Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com		|	Send Anything... Anywhere

I'm not sure which upsets me more; that people are so unwilling to accept
everyone else's.

root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) (04/19/91)

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse.  I just received the PSK for X11 R4.
Now I'm wishing I had followed the earlier threads on the X11 R4 setup.
Could someone tell me how to configure it so that I can hot key between
X and DM?  I get X to come up ok but don't know how to run DM in the
background so that it comes to life when I enter Ctrl-Shft-F9.  I have
tried running dm numerous ways but always get a blank screen when I
Ctrl-Shft-F9.  The release notes don't tell me anything.  Grrrrr.
--
Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
Phone: 214-516-6201           850 E. Central Parkway

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr18.224514.5584@ttsi.lonestar.org> root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) writes:

>background so that it comes to life when I enter Ctrl-Shft-F9.  I have
>tried running dm numerous ways but always get a blank screen when I
>Ctrl-Shft-F9.  The release notes don't tell me anything.  Grrrrr.

Straight out of TFM (or TFRelease notes):

     active window system.

     The following DM key definition performs the same function as the
     Xdomain hot key (shift-ctrl-F9) and the program /usr/X11/bin/dmtox:

          kd F9c cpo /com/sigp xdomain -c 9010011;ke

     When Xdomain is in control of the screen there is no DM icon. Use
     (shift-ctrl-F9) to switch back to the DM.

craig@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Craig Durland) (04/23/91)

>/ hpcvlx:comp.sys.apollo / root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) /  3:45 pm  Apr 18, 1991 /

> I just received the PSK for X11 R4.  I have tried running dm numerous
> ways but always get a blank screen when I Ctrl-Shft-F9.

Try running the DM first, then running Xdomain.  The blank screen means
you have successfully switched but there is no DM to switch to.  I run
Xdomain from a pad and have no problems with switching.  When Xdomain is
told to switch, all it does is release control of the display and input
- its up to another process (the DM) to notice and start using them.
Here are a couple of handy shell scripts for switching:

     # xd : switch from X to DM
     # Send a SIG USR1 to Xdomain
     /com/sigp xdomain -c 09010010

     # dx : switch from DM to X
     # Send a SIG USR2 to Xdomain
     /com/sigp xdomain -c 09010011

    Craig Durland       (503) 750-3354
    Hewlett-Packard, 1000 NE Circle, Corvallis, OR 97330
    craig@cv.hp.com