[comp.sys.apollo] Gcc for 10.3

andy@frisbee.eng.ufl.edu (Andy Wilcox) (04/25/91)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in
the Q-And-A file...

What's it take to get gcc to work under 10.3?  I followed the
instructions in the Makefile under Gcc 1.39, but it didn't
work: (1) No "as", so I built gas... and then (2) Stage 2
gcc.c fails to compile with "cc1: Invalid option `-g'"

-Andy

vasta@apollo.HP.COM (John Vasta) (05/01/91)

In article <1991Apr24.220231.23864@eng.ufl.edu> andy@frisbee.eng.ufl.edu (Andy Wilcox) writes:
>What's it take to get gcc to work under 10.3?  I followed the
>instructions in the Makefile under Gcc 1.39, but it didn't
>work: (1) No "as", so I built gas... and then (2) Stage 2
>gcc.c fails to compile with "cc1: Invalid option `-g'"

If you built gas with no modifications you'll find that it produces object
files incompatible with the Apollo linker/loader/libraries. I've been
distributing patches for gas to make it emit COFF objects, but I haven't
had the time to update them lately. You'll find them on labrea.stanford.edu
in the pub/gnu directory - apollo-gcc-1.37.1.tar.Z contains replacement
files for gas-1.36 and gcc-1.37.1. If you have SR10.3 + ANSI C headers
installed, you shouldn't need any patches for gcc-1.39, except for the
Makefile changes to build. `-g' is not supported, so you need to do the
bootstrap test without it.

John Vasta                Hewlett-Packard Apollo Systems Division
vasta@apollo.hp.com       M.S. CHR-03-DW
(508) 256-6600 x5978      300 Apollo Drive, Chelmsford, MA 01824
UUCP: {decwrl!decvax, mit-eddie, attunix}!apollo!vasta