[comp.sys.apollo] Return key interpreted as LFD

nomura@meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) (04/27/91)

 Machine: Apollo (BSD4.3) SR10.3
 Version: Emacs 18.57
 Terminal: Serial line (9600 bps), IBMPC runnning MS-kermit
 Problem: In Emacs, the return key is interpreted as "LFD",
          not "Ret".

          This does not occur if I use NCSA Telnet (for PC)
          to connect to the apollo.

 Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

  Seiichi Nomura ($BLnB<Lw0l(J)
  Department of Mechanical Engineering    nomura@meap.uta.edu
  University of Texas at Arlington        b460nom@utarlg.bitnet
  Arlington, Texas 76019-0023      +1 817 273-2012 (press 2 for fax)

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (04/29/91)

In article <8267@utacfd.UUCP> nomura@meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) writes:

    Machine: Apollo (BSD4.3) SR10.3
    Version: Emacs 18.57
    Terminal: Serial line (9600 bps), IBMPC runnning MS-kermit
    Problem: In Emacs, the return key is interpreted as "LFD",
	     not "Ret".

	     This does not occur if I use NCSA Telnet (for PC)
	     to connect to the apollo.

    Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

This DOES occur to us using NCSA Telnet.  The problem seems not to lie
with NCSA telnet itself, as I can telnet from PC to Sun, then Sun to
Apollo, and not see the problem.  I, too, would appreciate any insight.

I redirected followups to comp.sys.apollo.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (05/01/91)

In article <HANCHE.91Apr29163747@hufsa.imf.unit.no> hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) writes:
>In article <8267@utacfd.UUCP> nomura@meap.uta.edu (S. Nomura) writes:
>    Problem: In Emacs, the return key is interpreted as "LFD",
>	     not "Ret".

This problem has existed in Apollo's telnet/telnetd since SR10.0; it was
APR'ed long ago and Apollo replied that it was "fixed" but gave no
release number. It is certainly still broken in SR10.3/SR10.3.p
up to and including the 9103 patch tape. You also see this in 'vi'
where using <CR> should put you on the first character of the next line,
but instead just does a cursor down, and in the Cray Satellite Station
software where all commands are ignored if your terminal uses ^J
for cursor down (which many non-ANSI terminals do).
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (05/01/91)

Damn! Is that *still* broken? We had problems telnet'ing into the
MIT campus Cray-2 almost 1.5 years ago. Basically, CR didn't work.
We gave HP/Apollo complete pad transcripts, we gave them access to
one of our Cray accounts, we gave them everything they needed. The
response center people, to their credit, actually verified our
problem and told us they had tracked it down.

Grrr!

== Dave