[comp.sys.apollo] How do I get my bell back with X11 R4?

root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) (05/06/91)

Things like vi and xbiff no longer beep when run under Xdomain
(X11 R4 server).  I've tried using the -f option to Xdomain
(-f 50) but still don't get a beep.  Can some kind soul share the
secret of how to get the bell back?

Thanks
--
Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
Phone: 214-516-6201           850 E. Central Parkway

kts@quintro.uucp (Kenneth T. Smelcer) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May5.200251.277@ttsi.lonestar.org> root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) writes:
>Things like vi and xbiff no longer beep when run under Xdomain
>(X11 R4 server).  I've tried using the -f option to Xdomain
>(-f 50) but still don't get a beep.  Can some kind soul share the
>secret of how to get the bell back?
>
>Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
>Mail:  mse@ttsi.lonestar.org

This is a bug in the Xdomain server.  I've talked with HP/Apollo, and
they have verified that this is a problem on all 68000-based machines.
If anyone does figure out a work-around, PLEASE post it to the net.

Mild FLAME:  I generally don't like to complain about HP/Apollo's
	     testing department, but how could they miss something
	     like this?  We noticed this problem almost immediately.
	     I realize they have to test software on a large number
	     of different machines, but to miss something like this
	     on EVERY machine is inexcusable.

One other note:  the Xdomain server has a serious problem on DN2500s.
The server is incompatible with the pd91_m0256 patch, which is the
fix for the DN2500's timer interrupt problem.  The only way you can
run the Xdomain server is to run an X-only environment.  The server
won't even start when DM is running.

Does anyone know if there is a later PSK/Patch tape that might have
integrated the patch with the Xdomain update?

Ken Smelcer        Glenayre Corp.           quintro!kts@lll-winken.llnl.gov
                   Quincy,  IL              tiamat!quintro!kts@uunet.uu.net

gms@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) (05/07/91)

This is a defect that has been reported against pskq2_91.
I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any workaround for it.
It will be fixed in pskq3_91 (the next psk).

George Sachs
Hewlett-Packard
gms@cv.hp.com