[comp.sys.apollo] Problem with rn - long commands must end with ^J

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May8.211839.11974@otsc.eds.com> snyde_sl@tsca02.uucp (Steve Snyder) writes:
>Our site recently established a newsfeed.  We are running C news (last
>patch date is 24-Mar-91) and rn (last patch date is 01-Jan-91, # 54)
>on an Apollo DN3000 under Domain/OS SR10.2 (sys 5.3 environment).
>
>The problem is not real serious but is a minor irritation.  In order to
>execute any of rn's commands which are more than 1 character long, I
>have to type control-J (linefeed) to terminate the command.  This
>appears to be the case at all 3 command levels (newsgroup selection,
>article selection, pager).  If I press the <RETURN> key, ^M is echoed,
>but the command is not executed.

This is probably because SR10.x has a broken telnetd, which converts <CR> to
<LF>. This also affects 'vi' and all other programs that try to use
"cbreak" (and "raw" I think) mode. There is no fix, and I sent this in
to Apollo over a year ago, with no response.
Our workaround is to use 'rlogin' instead of 'telnet' (if your terminal
server has it - we have a Cisco box, which has both). Rlogind has its
own problems with flow control (not fixed in over 2.5 years), but you'll
only see them if you run more than 1 connection at a time from your
terminal server.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca