[comp.sys.apollo] Motif key bindings under X11 R4

root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) (05/07/91)

Amongst the changes the new X11 R4 environment has thrust upon us,
the following key definitions in /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc are flagged
as errors by mwm:

Keys DefaultKeyBindings
{
    <Key>Grow		window			f.resize
    <Key>Grow		icon			f.normalize
    Shift<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.move
    Meta<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.maximize
    Meta<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.post_wmenu
    Shift<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.exec "mterm &"
    <Key>Pop		window			f.raise_lower
    Shift<Key>Pop	window			f.minimize
    Shift<Key>Pop	icon			f.normalize
}

The error message is:
    Invalid key specification on line nn of configuration file

This used to work under X11 R3 and was in fact part of the factory
SR10.3 /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc file.  The new system.mwmrc does not
include these definitions.  Is this by design?  Any ideas?
--
Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
Phone: 214-516-6201           850 E. Central Parkway

root@evtprp0b.UUCP (Eric T. Smith) (05/08/91)

In article <1991May6.195129.3125@ttsi.lonestar.org> root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) writes:
>Amongst the changes the new X11 R4 environment has thrust upon us,
>the following key definitions in /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc are flagged
>as errors by mwm:
>
>    <Key>Grow		window			f.resize
>    <Key>Grow		icon			f.normalize
>    Shift<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.move
>    Meta<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.maximize
>    Meta<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.post_wmenu
>    Shift<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.exec "mterm &"
>    <Key>Pop		window			f.raise_lower
>    Shift<Key>Pop	window			f.minimize
>    Shift<Key>Pop	icon			f.normalize
>
>This used to work under X11 R3 and was in fact part of the factory
>SR10.3 /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc file.  The new system.mwmrc does not
>include these definitions.  Is this by design?  Any ideas?
>--
>Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.

Welcome to the wonderful world of X11R4! For some strange, unknown reason, HP
has changed the labels of some of the Apollo keys, but not all. See the file
named XKeysymDB in the /usr/X11/lib directory for some of them. For the rest, you
need to use the R3 versions of the names. Alternatedly, you can get the MIT distribution
of X11R4 compile it and use their xmodmap, the Apollo R3 doesn't give the right
information. The only other thing you should be careful of is trying to use the
shifted versions of the keys. Shift<key>apGrow is recognized, but <key>apMove is
not... One more bit of information for you, the xterm pop-up menus cause
the xterm to die. HP is looking at the problem now. Hope this helps!

--
|----------------------------------------------------------------|
|Eric Smith                             (206) 342-9681 (wk)      |

In article <236@evtprp0b.UUCP> root@evtprp0b.UUCP (Eric T. Smith) writes:
>not... One more bit of information for you, the xterm pop-up menus cause
>the xterm to die. HP is looking at the problem now. Hope this helps!
I hope they don't look too far.  That's a known problem with R3 xterms
on R4 servers.  The usual fix is to run the R4 server with the backwards
compatibility switch (-bc I think).  I don't know if that works with
Xdomain.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

gms@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) (05/08/91)

> / hpcvlx:comp.sys.apollo / root@ttsi.lonestar.org (System) / 12:51 pm  May  6, 1991 /
> Amongst the changes the new X11 R4 environment has thrust upon us,
> the following key definitions in /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc are flagged
> as errors by mwm:
>
> Keys DefaultKeyBindings
> {
>     <Key>Grow		window			f.resize
>     <Key>Grow		icon			f.normalize
>     Shift<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.move
>     Meta<Key>Grow	icon|window		f.maximize
>     Meta<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.post_wmenu
>     Shift<Key>Cmd	root|icon|window	f.exec "mterm &"
>     <Key>Pop		window			f.raise_lower
>     Shift<Key>Pop	window			f.minimize
>     Shift<Key>Pop	icon			f.normalize
> }
>
> The error message is:
>     Invalid key specification on line nn of configuration file
>
> This used to work under X11 R3 and was in fact part of the factory
> SR10.3 /usr/X11/lib/system.mwmrc file.  The new system.mwmrc does not
> include these definitions.  Is this by design?  Any ideas?
> --
> Mark S. Evans                 Tandem Telecommunications Systems Inc.
> Phone: 214-516-6201           850 E. Central Parkway
> Fax:   214-516-6801           Plano, TX 75074
> Mail:  mse@ttsi.lonestar.org
> ----------

The keysym names for these keys in pskq2_91 were changed from XK_Grow,
XK_Cmd, and XK_Pop to apXK_Grow, apXK_Cmd, and apXK_Pop.

You can either change your key bindings to use the new symbols (apGrow,
apCmd, and apPop) or edit your XKeysymDB file (in /usr/X11/lib) to
duplicate the Apollo-specific entries without the leading "ap".

In pskq3_91, both the old (R3) and new (R4) names will be defined in
XKeysymDB.

George Sachs
Hewlett-Packard
gms@cv.hp.com

In article <101020044@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com> gms@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) writes:
>The keysym names for these keys in pskq2_91 were changed from XK_Grow,
>XK_Cmd, and XK_Pop to apXK_Grow, apXK_Cmd, and apXK_Pop.
>
>You can either change your key bindings to use the new symbols (apGrow,
>apCmd, and apPop) or edit your XKeysymDB file (in /usr/X11/lib) to
>duplicate the Apollo-specific entries without the leading "ap".
>
>In pskq3_91, both the old (R3) and new (R4) names will be defined in
>XKeysymDB.

Can someone post a copy of this file?  I'd like to ship a version
with our product so I don't have to worry about what version of
the server they are running.  I need an XKeysymDB file with *all*
the apollo keysyms defined.

--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere
617/646-7703 (voice/fax)        |       info@alfalfa.com

everyone else's.

gms@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (George Sachs) (05/15/91)

The XKeysymDB file contains the following information:

!
!		OSF Keysyms
!
osfBackSpace			: 1004FF08
osfInsert			: 1004FF63
osfDelete			: 1004FFFF
osfCopy				: 1004FF02
osfCut				: 1004FF03
osfPaste			: 1004FF04

osfAddMode			: 1004FF31
osfPrimaryPaste			: 1004FF32
osfQuickPaste			: 1004FF33

osfPageLeft			: 1004FF40
osfPageUp			: 1004FF41
osfPageDown			: 1004FF42
osfPageRight			: 1004FF43

osfEndLine			: 1004FF57
osfBeginLine			: 1004FF58

osfActivate			: 1004FF44

osfMenuBar			: 1004FF45

osfClear			: 1004FF0B
osfCancel			: 1004FF69
osfHelp				: 1004FF6A
osfMenu				: 1004FF67
osfSelect			: 1004FF60
osfUndo				: 1004FF65

osfLeft				: 1004FF51
osfUp				: 1004FF52
osfRight			: 1004FF53
osfDown				: 1004FF54

!		DEC specific keysyms
!
DRemove				: 1000FF00

!		HP specific keysyms
!
Reset				: 1000FF6C
System				: 1000FF6D
User				: 1000FF6E
ClearLine			: 1000FF6F
InsertLine			: 1000FF70
DeleteLine			: 1000FF71
InsertChar			: 1000FF72
DeleteChar			: 1000FF73
BackTab				: 1000FF74
KP_BackTab			: 1000FF75
hpModelock1			: 1000FF48
hpModelock2			: 1000FF49

XK_mute_acute			: 0x100000a8
XK_mute_grave			: 0x100000a9
XK_mute_asciicircum		: 0x100000aa
XK_mute_diaeresis		: 0x100000ab
XK_mute_asciitilde		: 0x100000ac
XK_lira				: 0x100000af
XK_guilder			: 0x100000be
XK_Ydiaeresis			: 0x100000ee
XK_IO				: 0x100000ee
XK_longminus			: 0x100000f6
XK_block			: 0x100000fc

!		Apollo specific keysyms
!
apLineDel            : 1000FF00
apCharDel            : 1000FF01
apCopy               : 1000FF02
apCut                : 1000FF03
apPaste              : 1000FF04
apMove               : 1000FF05
apGrow               : 1000FF06
apCmd                : 1000FF07
apShell              : 1000FF08
apLeftBar            : 1000FF09
apRightBar           : 1000FF0A
apLeftBox            : 1000FF0B
apRightBox           : 1000FF0C
apUpBox              : 1000FF0D
apDownBox            : 1000FF0E
apPop                : 1000FF0F
apRead               : 1000FF10
apEdit               : 1000FF11
apSave               : 1000FF12
apExit               : 1000FF13
apRepeat             : 1000FF14
apKP_parenleft       : 1000FFA8
apKP_parenright      : 1000FFA9

! Apollo specific keysyms as they were in the share-mode server.
! These are needed for compatibility with old Apollo clients.
!
LineDel            : 1000FF00
CharDel            : 1000FF01
Copy               : 1000FF02