[comp.sys.apollo] assembler for Apollo

philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) (05/16/91)

As far as I know, Apollo has NEVER shipped an assembler for their
systems...  They have a simple tool for in-house use for developing
libraries and optimizing graphics, etc.  But nothing commercial...

Anybody else know something different???  Is there a GNU Assembler?

Sincerely,
Philip D. Pokorny
:)

jnp@tnds05.tele.nokia.fi (J|rgen N|rgaard) (05/16/91)

They used to, after some pressure, to supply an assembler.
My version is "ASM, version 9.15", by now I believe
the current version is higher.

It follows the Motorola asm format closely - thus it is not
what you'd expect for a unix assembler.

--
ORIGIN  '~jnp/stdDisclaimers';
[[--- Regards, J|rgen N|rgaard ('|' is '\o{}' in \LaTeX{})                    |

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) (05/16/91)

In article <9105151857.AA27763@cel.cummins.com> philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) writes:

   As far as I know, Apollo has NEVER shipped an assembler for their
   systems...  They have a simple tool for in-house use for developing
   libraries and optimizing graphics, etc.  But nothing commercial...

   Anybody else know something different???  Is there a GNU Assembler?

Sure. Get the gas source from prep.ai.mit.edu and the gcc patches for
Apollos from labrea.stanford.edu. They also contain patches for gas to
produce Apollo-compatible binaries.

			Hope this helps,
					mike

Michael K. Gschwind, Dept. of VLSI-Design, Vienna University of Technology
mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at	1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door
mike@vlsivie.uucp		5-6-7-8 innovate don't litigate
e182202@awituw01.bitnet		9-A-B-C interfaces should be free
Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144	D-E-F-O look and feel has got to go!
Fax:   (++43).1.569697

hanche@imf.unit.no (Harald Hanche-Olsen) (05/16/91)

In article <9105151857.AA27763@cel.cummins.com> philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) writes:

   As far as I know, Apollo has NEVER shipped an assembler for their
   systems...  They have a simple tool for in-house use for developing
   libraries and optimizing graphics, etc.  But nothing commercial...

   Anybody else know something different???  Is there a GNU Assembler?

Yes, there is gas, and since gcc has been ported to Apollos I presume
the same is true about gas.  Of course, DN10k users are out of luck.

- Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@imf.unit.no>
  Division of Mathematical Sciences
  The Norwegian Institute of Technology
  N-7034 Trondheim, NORWAY

carl@caicos.cayman (Carl Heinzl) (05/22/91)

>As far as I know, Apollo has NEVER shipped an assembler for their
>systems...  They have a simple tool for in-house use for developing
>libraries and optimizing graphics, etc.  But nothing commercial...

You are correct.  Apollo has never shipped the assembler as a fully
supported product, although MANY of Apollo's OEMs have been given the
assembler through tech marketing.  It came VERY close to being a real
product several times, but hit a snag each time, and it did have a
reasonable manual written for it.  I would say that it is more than a
"simple tool".  I can vouch for it being commercial grade, having used
it on several projects when I was at Apollo.

>Anybody else know something different???  Is there a GNU Assembler?

Yes there is a GNU assembler, however, I doubt that GNU assembled code
will link with code compiled by Apollo's compiler (am I wrong here???).

>Sincerely,
>Philip D. Pokorny
>:)

-Carl-

 Carl G. Heinzl - WA3UEN                              Internet: carl@cayman.com
 Cayman Systems, Inc                                     Phone: 617/494-1999 x208
 26 Landsdowne Street                                      FAX: 617/494-9270
 Cambridge, MA 02139                                 AppleLink: D0523