[comp.sys.apollo] postscript preview

pp0s+@EDRC.CMU.EDU (Peter Colin Piela) (05/31/91)

Two questions:

Has anyone fixed the X11 driver for ralpage so it works with
color displays?

Can some point me to an archive site where I can fetch a ready-to-go
version of ghostscript for Apollo workstations?

Thanks, Peter

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.155935.6043@cs.cmu.edu>, pp0s+@EDRC.CMU.EDU (Peter Colin Piela) writes:

  Can some point me to an archive site where I can fetch a ready-to-go
  version of ghostscript for Apollo workstations?

Funny you should ask.  I just finished compiling ghostscript on my Apollo,
after getting disgusted with xps.  I made no changes to the source, only
configuration changes to the makefile.  I suggest using:

-DNOPRIVATE because there is a bug in the Apollo compiler/linker that makes
it want to allocate space for static globals in the data section.

-A cpu,3000 for the usual reasons (I wish they'd make this the default, or
at least let me change the default on a per-node basis).

-A nansi for the usual reasons (don't claim to be ansi if you're not!)

-BDSD4_2 which really means 4.2 or 4.3, as I discovered the hard way.

That's it.  Works pretty well, even on the Interleaf output that made xps
barf.  But I can't get it to work on MS Word output -- anyone know how?

I would love to make a binary available to you, but the gnu license
prohibits me from doing so.  You can get ghostscript from the usual ftp
sites.  Mine is version 2.1.1 and I got it from wuarchive.wustl.edu .
I'll be glad to send makefile diffs if you want.

kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) (06/02/91)

In article <51e5d5ff.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>I would love to make a binary available to you, but the gnu license
>prohibits me from doing so.  You can get ghostscript from the usual ftp
>sites.  Mine is version 2.1.1 and I got it from wuarchive.wustl.edu .
>I'll be glad to send makefile diffs if you want.

You misunderstand the gnu license (GPL).  You can distribute binaries if you
wish.  Many ports of GNU software are distributed this way, especially MS-DOS
ports.  However, the license does say that you must make the source changes
you made to generate the distributed binary available to anyone who receives
the binary and would also like your changes to the source.

So, why don't you make the binary AND the makefile diffs available?  Nothing
in the GPL is there to prevent people from sharing changes they have made to
GNU Software.  However, the GPL does state that if you modify GNU software and
distribute binary executables containing those modifications, you MUST make
those source modifications available to anyone who wishes to obtain them.
Kevin Gallagher        kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org OR ...!uunet!digi!kgallagh
DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.025712.1595@digi.lonestar.org>, kgallagh@digi.lonestar.org (Kevin Gallagher) writes:

  In article <51e5d5ff.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
  >I would love to make a binary available to you, but the gnu license
  >prohibits me from doing so.

  You misunderstand the gnu license (GPL).  You can distribute binaries if you
  wish.  Many ports of GNU software are distributed this way, especially MS-DOS
  ports.  However, the license does say that you must make the source changes
  you made to generate the distributed binary available to anyone who receives
  the binary and would also like your changes to the source.

The GPL seems pretty clear to me.  I don't think I misunderstood it.  One of
the terms of the gnu general license (as described in a file that comes with
ghostscript) is as follows:

  3. You may copy and distribute Ghostscript (or a portion or derivative
of it, under Paragraph 2) in object code or executable form under the
terms of Paragraphs 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the
following:

    a) accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the terms of
    Paragraphs 1 and 2 above; or,

    b) accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
    years, to give any third party free (except for a nominal
    shipping charge) a complete machine-readable copy of the
    corresponding source code, to be distributed under the terms of
    Paragraphs 1 and 2 above; or,

    c) accompany it with the information you received as to where the
    corresponding source code may be obtained.  (This alternative is
    allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
    received the program in object code or executable form alone.)

So a binary distribution is only possible under b) or c) above.  Since I
received ghostscript as source, I'm restricted to b).  Even if you assume
"written" can mean "machine-readable" (and I don't read it that way), I'm
still required to make guarantees valid for three years, which I certainly
can't do.

The way I read this, gnu software can only be distributed in source form.  I
believe that's the way Stallman intended it.  If you have a different
interpretation, I would like to hear it.

rehrauer@apollo.hp.com (Steve Rehrauer) (06/03/91)

In article <51e5d5ff.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>Funny you should ask.  I just finished compiling ghostscript on my Apollo,
>after getting disgusted with xps.  I made no changes to the source, only
>configuration changes to the makefile.  I suggest using:

[ ... ]
>-A cpu,3000 for the usual reasons (I wish they'd make this the default, or
>at least let me change the default on a per-node basis).

We did make it the default for the *.8 compilers.

(Okay, I lied.  We made "mathlib_sr10" the default.  It's almost the same
as "3000"; you get inline floating-point code for anything that an '040
supports directly.  E.g.: you get lib-calls for some of the transcendentals.
Still, it's (default performance) far, far better than "-A cpu,any".  Note
that if you're using a FPA board, or have a PEB node or some such early
hardware, then you should override the default -cpu.  Refer to the release
notes (you know: those papers no one reads :-) on the *.8 compilers for full
details.)