[comp.sys.apollo] processes limitation

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) (06/04/91)

Hi,

Is there a way to limit the number of processes running on a
specific machine or not ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr                     |                                     |
Frank Bonnet                             | Surfing ...                         |
E.S.I.E.E                                |                                     |
BP99 93162 Noisy le Grand cedex.FRANCE.  | the rest is details !               |
Fax   : 33 1 45 92 66 99                 |                                     |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

mottram@viper.ntl02.decnet.nokia.fi (Peter Mottram) (06/04/91)

bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) writes:

>   Is there a way to limit the number of processes running on a
>   specific machine or not ?

I personally would be very wary about doing such, whether possible or not.

What happens if you have a problem with a node and are unable to create
that one extra process required to fix it??  Hit the big red button??
Not me - I prefer the simple life.

Peter Mottram			tel: +44 223 423123
System Support			fax: +44 223 423139
Nokia Telecommunications Ltd	inet: mottram@ntl02.decnet.nokia.fi
UK

dpassage@tornado.Berkeley.EDU (David G. Paschich) (06/05/91)

In article <MOTTRAM.91Jun4170602@viper.ntl02.decnet.nokia.fi>
	mottram@viper.ntl02.decnet.nokia.fi (Peter Mottram) writes:
>bonnetf@apo.esiee.fr (bonnet-franck) writes:
>
>>   Is there a way to limit the number of processes running on a
>>   specific machine or not ?
>

>I personally would be very wary about doing such, whether possible or not.
>
>What happens if you have a problem with a node and are unable to create
>that one extra process required to fix it??  Hit the big red button??
>Not me - I prefer the simple life.

We ran into this problem a while back under 10.2 on a 4500, when the 64
process limit still existed.  We were using the 4500 to gateway mail for
around 500 active users, and it would regularly wedge itself with large
numbers of sendmail processes.  To unwedge the machine, we wrote a daemon
which would watch for the existence of a file, and if it existed, kill a
certain class of processes, such as sendmails.  We could then touch the file
from another node.  Since the daemon process was always running, we didn't
need to fork a new process to fix the problem (or at least keep things
running).

David G. Paschich    Open Computing Facility    UC Berkeley
dpassage@ocf.berkeley.edu
"Everybody wants prosthetic foreheads on their real heads."
					--They Might Be Giants