[comp.sys.apollo] 425e...

philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) (05/31/91)

In a previous posting, David Funk says:

>   It is true that the new low cost 425e (woody) does not have ATR capablilty.
> This box was designed to be as cheap as possible and does not have any kind
> of slots at all. Everything is designed into the mother board (e-net, display,
> SCSI, etc) and it even uses PC type memory SIMMs to keep the cost down.

Are you SURE about the SIMM memory??  My Apollo sales rep was just in
Thursday and he gave me some literature on the 425e...  It says that
the 425e has ECC memory which has in the past inplied custom memory
boards...  Have you seen a 425e or the memory cards??

Sincerely,
Philip D. Pokorny
philip@cel.cummins.com
:)

dbfunk@icaen.uiowa.edu (David B Funk) (06/08/91)

In article <9105311430.AA27439@cel.cummins.com> philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) writes:
>In a previous posting, David Funk says:
>
>>   It is true that the new low cost 425e (woody) does not have ATR capablilty.
>> This box was designed to be as cheap as possible and does not have any kind
>> of slots at all. Everything is designed into the mother board (e-net, display,
>> SCSI, etc) and it even uses PC type memory SIMMs to keep the cost down.
>
>Are you SURE about the SIMM memory??  My Apollo sales rep was just in
>Thursday and he gave me some literature on the 425e...  It says that
>the 425e has ECC memory which has in the past inplied custom memory
>boards...  Have you seen a 425e or the memory cards??

I have not yet actually seen a 425e or memory cards (they're on order
but it'll be several weeks before we get them ;). I got that piece of info,
the 425e using PC type SIMMS, from an article in the June issue of
"Workstation" magazine.

Given that there is some question about the correctness of that info,
I asked our salesrep to check up on it. He sent a query into the Sales
Response Center and got the reply that ECC memory is used in all
series 400 and 700 systems.

Thus it looks like I jumped the gun on this one.
Sorry about that folks ;{

Dave Funk