[comp.sys.apollo] Are 425s REALLY memory hogs?

neilb@spectrum.cs.unsw.oz.au (Neil Brown) (06/05/91)

I recently started using a new 425 complete with 8meg of ram, 200 megs
of disc and a 68040 (running Domain/OS 10.3.4 - psk8).

This was replacing my old DN2500 (200 meg disc, 12meg ram Domain/OS 10.3.xx)
I expected it to run much more smoothly - but boy was I wrong!
Admittedly the new machine has less RAM than the old, but I didn't
notice much change when I upgraded the 2500 from 8 to 12 meg.

I run X windows (the mit X11r4 borrow mode server) with an emacs, a
few xterms and the usual extras.
I found that when I was paging through taxt in an emacs window (for
instance) that it was noticably faster. But as soon as I moved the
focus to another window the disc went wild (presumably paging) and
there was a distinct delay (maybe 30 seconds) before I could type in
that window. This made the machine just about unusable. As bad as a
DN2500 with 4Meg.
I have since upgraded to 16 meg (memory 'stolen' from another machine.
I'll probably have to give it back soon) and now it is REALLY NICE.
Fast, smooth, just what I was after. But we cant afford 16meg for all
of our new 425s yet...

I had a look at a ps listing and all the processes seem much bigger!

e.g. on another 2500 (with 12 meg) the typical process size if a few
hundred somethings (K?), with sizes upto 2000 or 3000 being common for
large things like xterms. The dm is 2592.

  USER       PID   SZ  RSS TTY     STAT  TIME COMMAND
  sys_pers 23385 2592   52 ?       S <  39:59 dm

  # ps axgu | grep $$
  root      2749  896  203 ttyp3   R     0:02 -sh
  # sleep 30 & ps axgu | grep sleep
  2752
  root      2752  832   96 ttyp3   S     0:00 sleep 30

On my 425, though, its a different story. Sizes are typically
2000-3000 with 5000-6000 for xterm and 7000 for an emacs.
The dm is 10240! (And remember I dont use the DM, I use a borrow mode
X server).

  USER       PID   SZ  RSS TTY     STAT  TIME COMMAND
  neilb     108910240   92 ?       S <   4:23 dm

  # ps axgu | grep $$
  root      3477 4352  252 ttyp6   R     0:01 -sh
  # sleep 30 & ps axgu | grep sleep
  3493
  root      3493 3584  340 ttyp6   S     0:00 sleep 30

Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there any good reason why
the processes are SO much bigger? Is there anything I can do to reduce
their size and so decrease paging? Or is HP just trying to sell more memory?

NeilBrown
neilb@cs.unsw.oz.au

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/05/91)

What is *really* disturbing is that not only is the virtual address
size (SZ) much larger, but the physical RAM size (RSS) is larger!
340Kb to run "sleep"?! It's no more than a 100 line program!

One thing comes to mind ... I think I remember reading (where?) that
the segiment size (size of the chunks of memory which the MMU maps
into RAM) had been increased from 32Kb with the 68020/68030 MMU's to
256 Kb with the 68040 MMU. Of course, I'm getting old and grey, and
I can't be relied upon to remember the exact numbers (or even the
correct answer ;-) ).

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

root@ladwp (06/07/91)

NeilBrown writes :
>I recently started using a new 425 complete with 8meg of ram, 200 megs
>of disc and a 68040 (running Domain/OS 10.3.4 - psk8).
>This was replacing my old DN2500 (200 meg disc, 12meg ram Domain/OS 10.3.xx)
>I expected it to run much more smoothly - but boy was I wrong!
>Admittedly the new machine has less RAM than the old, but I didn't
>notice much change when I upgraded the 2500 from 8 to 12 meg.

>Has anyone else had similar experience? Is there any good reason why
>the processes are SO much bigger? Is there anything I can do to reduce
>their size and so decrease paging? Or is HP just trying to sell more memory?

We have had a similiar experience with updating a DN3500 to DN5500. It is
due to the 68040 processor and I believe its 4K blocks rather then the 1K
blocks of the 68030. The 3500 ran okay with 8MB but when the 5500 board
was installed its Domain and X window performance was awful, worse then a
DN3500 with 4MB. Once we increased the memory to 16 or 24 MB the perfomance
was great. Our solution : 16MB of addiational memory for each DN5500 from
Clearpoint at a cost of 995 per 8 MB board.

Another problem we had with the 040 upgrade was that Interleaf 4 TPS
(4.0.66) would not run on the O40 chip. Yesterday Interleaf called and
said the patch tapes would arrive next week.

Marc Hall
elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!ladwp!marc

dbfunk@icaen.uiowa.edu (David B Funk) (06/08/91)

In article <9106051356.AA08687@richter.mit.edu> krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) writes:
>What is *really* disturbing is that not only is the virtual address
>size (SZ) much larger, but the physical RAM size (RSS) is larger!
>340Kb to run "sleep"?! It's no more than a 100 line program!
>
>One thing comes to mind ... I think I remember reading (where?) that
>the segiment size (size of the chunks of memory which the MMU maps
>into RAM) had been increased from 32Kb with the 68020/68030 MMU's to
>256 Kb with the 68040 MMU. Of course, I'm getting old and grey, and
>I can't be relied upon to remember the exact numbers (or even the
>correct answer ;-) ).

Yes, the sr10.3 release notes state this change. This is because the
MMU in the 68040 chip (which is a subset of the 030 MMU) supports only
two possible page sizes, 4Kb & 8Kb; thus Apollo was forced to use a larger
page size on the 040 machines. As the address translation cache is smaller,
they also went to a larger segment size, to reduce cache misses (I think ).
From page 1-44 in the sr10.3 release notes:

     The /bin/ld and /com/bind linkers use new segment and page sizes, as
     follows:

        o The segment size has changed from 32 KB to 256 KB.

        o The page size has changed from 1 KB to 4 KB.

     Programs linked with the pre-SR10.3 linkers may load slower on a
     Series 400 workstation.  Specifically, the text sections are copied at
     load time instead of being mapped into memory. This causes a slower
     load time and allows the possibility of scribbling on text.

Note that the page size on the "010/020/030 only" machines (all DNxxx series
except DN5500) is still 1Kb. It is only the 040'able machines that
use the larger page size (9000/4xx).

These changes will result in larger memory allocation granularity, and thus
the "growth" of the process size.

Dave Funk