[comp.sys.apollo] Rewriteable Optical Drives for the Apollo

awatkins@lager.UVic.CA (Andrew Watkins) (06/07/91)

Hello,

 We just bought an HP/Apollo 400t running SR10.3. Does anyone out there know
of any companies that sell rewriteable optical drives for this computer?

Thanks a lot,

Andrew Watkins
Research Programmer
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
University of Victoria,
Victoria, BC CANADA

robinb@resmel.bhp.com.au (Robin Brown) (06/07/91)

awatkins@lager.UVic.CA (Andrew  Watkins) writes:

> We just bought an HP/Apollo 400t running SR10.3. Does anyone out there know
>of any companies that sell rewriteable optical drives for this computer?
HP/Apollo themselves and Sony are two that come to mind.  Any SCSI based
drive should work though whether or not it will is another question :-)

Robin
--
     /\/\       Robin Brown
    / / /\      System Administrator - Unix Systems and CAD/CAM/CAE

chen@digital.sps.mot.com (Jinfu Chen) (06/07/91)

> We just bought an HP/Apollo 400t running SR10.3. Does anyone out there know
>of any companies that sell rewriteable optical drives for this computer?

Workstation Solutions sells a 5.25" optical disk system. The model number is
OFS600E. It uses standard SCSI interface and can be used as a bootable
device. The capacity is 637MB but that's kind of misleading because each side
of the disk holds 297MB and you have to flip the disk in order to use the
other side. In other word, you can't have 637MB at the same time. The list
price is $5450 for a complete system and the disk is $250.

WS's phone number is 603-880-0080

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/08/91)

As much as I like Workstation Solutions and admire their
technical support ... I feel compelled to point out that
their OSF600E is simply a Sony SMO-S501 magneto-optical
drive plus an external SCSI cable. All of the SCSI drive
software is either built into your workstation (ie. DN2500
or HP/Apollo 9000 series 400) or it isn't. Since HP/Apollo
has never provided a method for integrating disk drivers
into their OS's all any vendor can do it to sell you a
raw disk drive -- which you *hope* is compatible with your
system.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (06/11/91)

In article <1991Jun6.193147.23550@sol.UVic.CA> awatkins@lager.UVic.CA (Andrew  Watkins) writes:

> We just bought an HP/Apollo 400t running SR10.3. Does anyone out there know
>of any companies that sell rewriteable optical drives for this computer?

R Squared (formerly, or still is, MDL) looks like they have a pretty large line
of SCSI disks (both optical and regular, that should work on the 400t.  Their
info packet shows a large optical unit that will hold from 20 gigabytes to one
terabyte of data (whoa).  Their number is (206) 883-3116 or (800) 866-3478.  Ask
for Michael Lampi.  (There's your free plug Michael).

BTW, you might also need either PSKQ2_91 or the April patch tape to support an
optical drive.
Bryan Province -Glenayre Corp., Quincy, IL- quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
             "I tried putting instant coffee in the microwave,
                I almost went back in time."  - Steven Wright