[comp.sys.apollo] Is there?/How to de-install with SR10.3 ?

fleureck@imec.be (Marc Fleureck) (06/04/91)

Hello,

A simple but important question for sys admins :
I heard from HP support people that this would be possible,
but I don't know how to do it : de-install a product or OS
with SR10.3 ?

 _______________
|		|
| Marc Fleureck	|
| Sys admin Unix|
| Imec vzw	|
| Belgium	|
|_______________|

dbfunk@icaen.uiowa.edu (David B Funk) (06/08/91)

In article <976@imec.UUCP> fleureck@imec.be (Marc Fleureck) writes:
>Hello,
>
>A simple but important question for sys admins :
>I heard from HP support people that this would be possible,
>but I don't know how to do it : de-install a product or OS
>with SR10.3 ?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no de-install tool available
with sr10.x. The Apollo install tool set, RAI (Release And Install),
that was developed for sr10 was planned to have de-install capabilities
but it turned out to be enough trouble that it was dropped. There are
so many ways that a predecessor system could be configured, that to provide
a correct de-install tool, the install tool would have to keep around a
complete copy of your old system after doing an update install.

Please note that you cannot even trust the install "-v" to tell you
all of what is happening to your system during an install. I have been
burned more than once by an install silently changing something that,
IMHO, it shouldn't have. ;{

So the bottom line is: protect yourself with a backup before doing a
major system install, or try it out first on an expendable machine.

Dave Funk

fleureck@imec.be (Marc Fleureck) (06/13/91)

In article <6390@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, dbfunk@icaen.uiowa.edu (David B Funk) writes:

> To the best of my knowledge, there is no de-install tool available
> with sr10.x. The Apollo install tool set, RAI (Release And Install),
>
> So the bottom line is: protect yourself with a backup before doing a
> major system install, or try it out first on an expendable machine.
>
> Dave Funk

I wonder if there isn't a fairly simple way to write ones own de-install
tool, which in combination with the Apollo install tool will do the job.  Here
is a version of my own and I would appreciate very much any comments from other
administrators on this particular scenario :

There are only two kinds of links you have to keep in mind : file links and
directory links, which together determine how your configuration looks like
( I am referring here only to links beginning with //..., pointing to other
machines )

The install tool provides a "-m" switch in order to perform a clean
installation.  But this switch only deals with file links, not directory
links ( it leaves directory links undisturbed, which means you first have to
upgrade the machines to which those links are pointing to ).  So if you don't
want to alter those directory links this m-switch thing is all you need to
perform an upgrade from sr10.2 to sr10.3 ( of course you may want to preserve
some files and directories in the preserve_list first ).  The rest of the
installation is limited to installing the ansi-c compiler version ( 6.8 ),
but the rest of the optional software doesn't have to be changed or
re-installed ( it's only an upgrade, isn't it ? )

On the other hand if you do want to change directory links ( as in my case ),
what you will have to do is write some sort of script which scans all directory
links beginning with //...  ( which is not too difficult ) and delete them
before performing the installation in upgrade mode.

Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

Marc.
   _    /\
  ||  __||__ 		Marc Fleureck
  || | _||_ | 		Sys Admin Unix
 _||_||_||_|| 		IMEC vzw, Fax : 016/229400
|_||_||_||_||		Kapeldreef 75
  ||_||_||_||_		3001 Heverlee
     IMEC vzw		E-mail: fleureck@imec.be