[comp.sys.apollo] /dev/pio1 and /etc/pio1.conf help?

herb@ajfcal.uucp (Herb Peyerl) (06/12/91)

I'm sorry everyone... I vaguely remember this being discussed
before but in my usual manner, I dismissed it as not pertaining
to me... Now I find myself needing to hook up a QMS-810+ printer
to the parallel port on a 400t... I've used the information
in /install/doc/apollo/os.10.3.release_notes and created the
file "/sys/node_data/etc/pio1.conf" with the appropriate information
from the release notes... However, the printer blocks when I send
a postscript document to the printer... ie: it blocks so bad, I
can only "sigp -b" the process... After that I have to shutdown
the machine before I can attempt again... I can't locate where
the pio1.conf stuff is documented more fully... I'd like some
descriptions of options there are and what the mnemonics mean...

Information: qms-810 turbo, 400t, standard PC parallel cable, and
printer set to postscript/parallel mode.... Printer works fine
with same cable in same mode on a PC under MS-Douche...
UUCP: herb@ajfcal.UUCP    || #define Janitor Administrator
I brew, therefore I am..  || Apollo System_Janitor, Novatel Communications
"I spilled spot remover on my dog and now he's gone..." <Steven Wright>

agq@itd1.dsto.oz (Ashley Quick) (06/14/91)

herb@ajfcal.uucp (Herb Peyerl) writes:

>I'm sorry everyone... I vaguely remember this being discussed
>before but in my usual manner, I dismissed it as not pertaining
>to me... Now I find myself needing to hook up a QMS-810+ printer
>to the parallel port on a 400t... I've used the information
>in /install/doc/apollo/os.10.3.release_notes and created the
>file "/sys/node_data/etc/pio1.conf" with the appropriate information
>from the release notes... However, the printer blocks when I send
>a postscript document to the printer... ie: it blocks so bad, I
>can only "sigp -b" the process... After that I have to shutdown
>the machine before I can attempt again... I can't locate where
>the pio1.conf stuff is documented more fully... I'd like some
>descriptions of options there are and what the mnemonics mean...

>Information: qms-810 turbo, 400t, standard PC parallel cable, and
>printer set to postscript/parallel mode.... Printer works fine
>with same cable in same mode on a PC under MS-Douche...

This is the information which was sent back to me when I raised this
earlier.

I HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET. (I gave up - too busy doing other things)

---------- HP reply ---------------

HP>< agq@itd1.dsto.oz (Ashley Quick) writes >
HP>
HP>
HP>>> We have a few new 400t's here, - the ones with the build in
HP>>> parallel port.
HP>>>
HP>>> How does it work?
HP>
HP>     The parallel port is a *standard* centronics port with bi-directional
HP>     capabilities. The output data lines are active high; strobe and
HP>     acknowledge are active low; busy, paper empty, and online are active high
HP>     and fault is active low. The output protocol operates as follows :
HP>         ws (workstation)  places data on lines, lowers strobe, and waits for busy
HP>         high from external device.
HP>         ws then rasies strobe, and waits for busy == false and
HP>         acknowledge pulse before begining next cycle.
HP>
HP>     Since not every device drives every status line, you must use the configuration
HP>     file, pio1.conf, to tell the kernel which status lines are active and how
HP>     to handle events on them. Best bet to hook up a new printer is to set
HP>     all the status lines to ignore, then cat a file to the /dev/pio1. Once that
HP>     works, you must read the printer manual to determine which status lines are
HP>     active, and set them to either wait or fatal.
HP>
HP>     There are 2 handshake modes in the standard software, BNACK or BONLY.
HP>     Since sr10.3 we have discovered some printers do not raise busy in
HP>     response to the leading edge of strobe. A patch will be available next month
HP>     to support these devices. My guess is this is the solution to your
HP>     problem.
HP>
HP>
HP>>>
HP>>> Crazy thing is, some other people have a DATAPRODUCTS laser printer
HP>>> hooked up with the config file containing utter rubbish - and theirs
HP>>> works fine.
HP>>>
HP>>> I beleive that DataProducts use a Parallel interface with most of the
HP>>> control signals the inverse of Centronics. Is the 400t only capable
HP>>> of driving the DataProducts mode?????
HP>
HP>     I think you are confused. The Dataproducts  printer that connects
HP>     to dsp80's and dn4/6xx machines uses an inverted dataproducts interface.
HP>     This is nothing like the centronics interface, and will never work.
HP>     I suspect the laser printer you refer to works because the pio driver
HP>     is using the default status and handshake settings which match this
HP>     particular printer.
HP>
HP>
HP>
HP>>> Furthermore, the type manager EXPLICITLY reads the config
HP>>> file from "/sys/node_data/etc/pio1.conf" - this means that on
HP>>> a 400t running diskless, the config file is stored in the
HP>>> partners node_data directory, rather than the diskless nodes.
HP>>>
HP>>> If the file was `node_data/etc/pio1.conf there would be no
HP>>> problem.
HP>
HP>
HP>     Good point. This will be fixed in sr10.4 .
HP>
HP>     John Mandler  mandler@apollo.hp.com
HP>     Hewlett-Packard Company
HP>     Chelmsford, MA
HP>----------------------------------------------

I get the impression there might be a few wee :-) bugs in the SR10.3
pio driver... I would be REALLY NICE if HP were to release the
interfaces to the low level pio_$ calls which are used!

Regards
Ashleigh Quick
AGQ@dstos3.dsto.oz.au
Ashleigh Quick                             | ACSnet: AGQ@dstos3.dsto.oz
Defence Science and Technology Organisation| Internet: AGQ@dstos3.dsto.oz.au
PO Box 1600                                | Phone: (Intl) (+61 8) 259 6975
Salisbury 5108      AUSTRALIA              |        (Local) (08) 259 6975