[comp.sys.apollo] Sendmail 5.65 problem

volf@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (frank volf) (06/10/91)

Hi there,
We have used sendmail 5.61 for some time on our SR10.2/SR10.3 nodes
without any significant problems.
Last week we decided that sendmail 5.65 would be nice on our nodes
so we installed it.
We took a copy of sendmail (sendmail.5.65apo.tar.Z) from master.uio.no and
installed the Apollo binary which was in the tarfile.
Unfortunately this sendmail this not work. Here is session that shows
our problems:

eba{volf}[//ebg/users/volf] 1 > mail volf
Subject: test
this is a test
*** EOF ***
EOT
volf... Connecting to  (local)...
mail: mail: can't find mail group

volf... Sent
eba{volf}[//ebg/users/volf] 2 > mail maxad
Subject: another test
this is test 2
*** EOF ***
EOT
/usr/user/maxad/.forward: line 1: maxad... forwarding to volf@eb.ele.tue.nl
volf@eb.ele.tue.nl... Connecting to  (local)...
rgyc_$pgo_get_projlist: No such file or directory
mail: mail: can't find mail group

volf@eb.ele.tue.nl... Sent

Needless to say: both mails do NOT arrive at their destination. If we change
back to sendmail 5.61 everything works fine again.

Has anyone seen this problem before????

P.s.: we didn't compile the source ourselves. Could this be the problem????

                    Thanx, Frank

Frank Volf (volf@eb.ele.tue.nl)
Eindhoven University of Technology
Digital Systems Group, Room EH10.16
P.O. 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands

ianh@resmel.bhp.com.au (Ian Hoyle) (06/11/91)

volf@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (frank volf) writes:

>We took a copy of sendmail (sendmail.5.65apo.tar.Z) from master.uio.no and
>installed the Apollo binary which was in the tarfile.

This is the sendmail I put up for anon ftp ~ 2 weeks ago which is shadowed by
master.uio.no.

>Unfortunately this sendmail this not work. Here is session that shows
>our problems:

>eba{volf}[//ebg/users/volf] 1 > mail volf
>Subject: test
>this is a test
>*** EOF ***
>EOT
>volf... Connecting to  (local)...
>mail: mail: can't find mail group

>volf... Sent
>eba{volf}[//ebg/users/volf] 2 > mail maxad
>Subject: another test
>this is test 2
>*** EOF ***
>EOT
>/usr/user/maxad/.forward: line 1: maxad... forwarding to volf@eb.ele.tue.nl
>volf@eb.ele.tue.nl... Connecting to  (local)...
>rgyc_$pgo_get_projlist: No such file or directory
>mail: mail: can't find mail group

>volf@eb.ele.tue.nl... Sent

>Needless to say: both mails do NOT arrive at their destination. If we change
>back to sendmail 5.61 everything works fine again.

>Has anyone seen this problem before????

No, several people have been using this without a problem so far. To
elaborate further, this version of sendmail is the
sendmail-5.65b+IDA-1.4.3 version supported at UIUC by Paul Pomes and Neil
Rickert. I built it under BSD, sr10.3 and cc6.7.

One possible thing to look at is what "mail" program you are using. If it
is /bin/mail then try using the Berkley mail program found in /usr/ucb/mail.
Also, does the "mail" group exist in your /etc/group file ?? /usr/spool/mail
should then have a group ownership of "mail".

	ian

>P.s.: we didn't compile the source ourselves. Could this be the problem????

Can't hurt, but this really shouldn't be necessary. :-)

	ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

paul@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Paul Pomes - UofIllinois CSO) (06/12/91)

volf@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (frank volf) writes:

>Last week we decided that sendmail 5.65 would be nice on our nodes
>so we installed it.
>We took a copy of sendmail (sendmail.5.65apo.tar.Z) from master.uio.no and
>installed the Apollo binary which was in the tarfile.
>Unfortunately this sendmail this not work. Here is session that shows
>our problems:

>mail: mail: can't find mail group

This problem is common to all the Apollo machines I have installed the 5.65b
(and 5.65c now in beta-test) IDA sendmail on.  My conclusion is that there is
some Apollo-specific initialization that sendmail must do before exec()ing
/bin/mail for local delivery.  My "fix" has been to install the binmail program
that comes in the sendmail distribution in place of /bin/mail.  This works,
however it then becomes yet another program that must be re-installed by hand
after an upgrade.  It also defeats my design goal of making IDA sendmail a
drop-in replacement.

Any suggestions for a better fix are welcome.  Hints from HP/Apollo would not
be unappreciated either.

/pbp
--
Paul Pomes, Computing Services Office
University of Illinois - Urbana

dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) (06/13/91)

--

Just put this in your excludes list in your Authorze Area and it won't
be overwritten.

ChemShare Corporation
DesignMaster Division

dla@chemsh.UUCP       713-267-5602

volf@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (frank volf) (06/13/91)

The last two days I have got some replies on my first posting on this subject,
however none of the suggested solutions have worked yet!

*) First, a number of people suggested that on our site, the mail group didn't
   exist.
   This is not true, the group mail exists ( in fact it is a reserved group which
   can't be changed). The group has its usual gid of 6.

*) Second, I was told that the processes invoked by sendmail may not have write
   permission to /usr/spool/mail and the files in this directory.
   Both the file and the directory have write permission for the group mail on
   our system.

*) I was also told that the the default gid for processes invoked by sendmail
   (as specified in sendmail.cf) should be 6 (group mail). On our site this was
   a 1 (group daemon). I changed this but it didn't help (sendmail 5.61 didn't
   care about a group of 1, is this changed in sendmail 5.65???????).
   I also tried forcing sendmail and /bin/mail to be of group mail, by making
   these files sgid to mail (of course they are also suid to root).
   This didn't work either.

Other suggestions anyone?????

krause@mitre.org (Mark Krause) (06/14/91)

In article <1215@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl>, volf@eba.eb.ele.tue.nl (frank volf) writes:
> The last two days I have got some replies on my first posting on this subject,
> however none of the suggested solutions have worked yet!

To get sendmail 5.65 to work correctly on the Apollo you must replace /bin/mail
with the binmail program in the sendmail distribution.

--
Mark A. Krause			mkrause@mitre.org
The MITRE Corporation		(703)883-7642 (Voice)