[comp.sys.apollo] Is Apollo token ring ISO 802.5?

glass@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Adam Glass) (06/14/91)

In the documentation I have from Apollo they refer to the token ring
they support as "Apollo Token Ring", not as ISO 802.5 token ring?  Is
it ISO or not?  If not, what document describes it?

Also, where can I find a standard that discusses the transmission of
IP datagrams over 802.5?

later,
Adam Glass
--
Adam Glass                           |Internet: glass@postgres.Berkeley.EDU
various roles at Berkeley	     |Home    : glass@Chaos.org

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/14/91)

> In the documentation I have from Apollo they refer to the token ring
> they support as "Apollo Token Ring", not as ISO 802.5 token ring?  Is
> it ISO or not?  If not, what document describes it?
No, ATR is not IBM-Token Ring (802.5).  The Apollo Token Ring is a
proprietary (or at least, non-standard) network protocol.

Note that Apollo (HP/Apollo) does support the 802.3 and 802.5 protocols
with other controllers.  You can run a native-ethernet or a native-
IBM-TR network of Apollos.  Most people run ATR or ethernet (802.3).

> Also, where can I find a standard that discusses the transmission of
> IP datagrams over 802.5?
Beatsme.  You might look in "Computer Networks" by Andrew Tannenbaum, (or
at least in the bibliography of it).

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

When in danger, when in doubt --
run in circles, scream and shout.

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (06/14/91)

>In the documentation I have from Apollo they refer to the token ring
>they support as "Apollo Token Ring", not as ISO 802.5 token ring?

The Apollo Domain token ring is proprietary. All technical information about
it was guarded like the family jewels for almost a decade. Several vendors
approached Apollo in the early 80's to license their token ring technology,
but Apollo either refused or put the price tag out of reach (depending on
whose story you listen to). Eventually Apollo realized that "open systems"
were taking over the market place, and they published the ring spec; but by
then no one was interested in it any more.

<csg>

moliver@shadow.pyramid.com (Mike Oliver) (06/15/91)

In article <GLASS.91Jun13171954@arcadia.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> glass@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:
>Also, where can I find a standard that discusses the transmission of
>IP datagrams over 802.5?

You need good ol' RFC 1042 ... it describes IP and ARP over 802.3,
802.4 and 802.5 MACs.

1042	Postel, J.B.; Reynolds, J.K.  Standard for the transmission of IP
	datagrams over IEEE 802 networks.  1988 February; 15 p. (Format:
	TXT=35201 bytes)  (Obsoletes RFC 948)

Cheers, Mike.

moliver@pyramid.com
{allegra,decwrl,hplabs,munnari,sun,utai,uunet}!pyramid!moliver

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (06/15/91)

In article <GLASS.91Jun13171954@arcadia.postgres.Berkeley.EDU> glass@postgres.Berkeley.EDU (Adam Glass) writes:

>In the documentation I have from Apollo they refer to the token ring
>they support as "Apollo Token Ring", not as ISO 802.5 token ring?  Is
>it ISO or not?  If not, what document describes it?

No - Apollo Token Ring (ATR) is *not* ISO.  Apollo does, however,
support 802.5 token rings as well - so you can have two different
token ring boards in your apollo.

The best reference (well - the only one I know of) for details of the
ATR is probably (hang on while I go over to my bookcase) I.E.E.E.
Jounal on Selected Areas in Communications, Volume 1, Nr. 5; November
1983, pp 842-857.

>Also, where can I find a standard that discusses the transmission of
>IP datagrams over 802.5?

Beats me ;-)

Colin

--