[comp.sys.apollo] AT Controller for 9 track tape drive

m20481@MWVM.MITRE.ORG (Heather Mackintosh) (06/14/91)

I have a 9 track tape drive that is driven by a DN570 which has a multibus
controller.  I want to be able to use this 9 track tapedrive with my
DN4500.  I called my HP/Apollo sales rep and he said that he would "look
into it." The result:  there is no conversion kit for the 9 track tape
drive with a multibus controller.  Does anybody know of a conversion kit?
*
*        Heather

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (06/17/91)

In article <9106141256.AA16318@mwunix.mitre.org> m20481@MWVM.MITRE.ORG (Heather Mackintosh) writes:
>I have a 9 track tape drive that is driven by a DN570 which has a multibus
>controller.  I want to be able to use this 9 track tapedrive with my
>DN4500.  I called my HP/Apollo sales rep and he said that he would "look
>into it." The result:  there is no conversion kit for the 9 track tape
>drive with a multibus controller.  Does anybody know of a conversion kit?

I'm afraid that I can't give you any real details - but I'm pretty
sure that this is possible.  We have a 9 track drive hooked up to a
DSP80A (bless its little cotton socks) via a multibus interface, and a
few months ago were considering hooking it up to a DN3000 to save us
the obscenely high maintenance on the DSP.  I recall our Apollo
support person saying that it'd cost us about UK$1000 for the
appropriate interface board - so I'd keep pestering them - one of us
has been fed incorrect info...

Colin

--
  Colin Dente                     | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els