[comp.sys.apollo] Re : Disuse Detection

rtaylor@tron.UUCP (Randy Taylor) (06/17/91)

Subject: Re : Disuse Detection

>Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recognize
>when a logged in node has been inactive (e.g. no interactive use to
>the party sitting at the machine) for n seconds.
>
>The point is to take some action (force a logout or toss up an INUSE
>lockup) on that node for security reasons.
>
>One thought is to set up the screen blank timeout to 'n' seconds using
>the appropriate GPR calls, and somehow(OUCH!) detect that the screen
>has blanked out. I suspect that such detection would involve querying
>the display hardware itself so I'm not hopefull.
>
>Anybody with 2 cents to toss in , post here or mail to me directly
>at ruben@dsp35001.boeing.com
>
>P.S. I'm also interested in any other 'impossible' functions that
>	 programmers have squeezed out of their apollos. (I've heard that
>	 someone's got a program to get a manicure out of a CT drive)
>
>Disc. All contents (i.e. queries, facts, lame jokes) are entirely my
>	  responsibily, having nothing to do with my Employers or their
>	  lawyers.

Reuben -

I have such a program already written - it works under SR10.1,
but needs some revision for SR10.3.  It has been copyrighted
by my company (Westinghouse), but I have convinced them to let it
go shareware.  I am currently in the process of getting the necessary
clearances from our Patents and Intellectual Property Dept. to
release the source code.

Please feel free to contact me directly for more details.

Regards,

Randy Taylor
Westinghouse Electric Corporation

rtaylor@sky00.bwi.wec.com   |    \  /\  /    | candle at both ends -- tell me