[comp.sys.apollo] NFS 2.2 bombs

dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) (06/12/91)

I'm another person who found that NFS 2.2 bombs on a 425s ...

Has anyone found a fix or has HP/Apollo Acknowledged the problem?

--

Douglas L. Acker

ChemShare Corporation
DesignMaster Division

dla@chemsh.UUCP       713-267-5602

dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) (06/13/91)

In article <1991Jun11.233532.1920@chemsh.uucp>, dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) writes:
|> I'm another person who found that NFS 2.2 bombs on a 425s ...
|>
|> Has anyone found a fix or has HP/Apollo Acknowledged the problem?

Talking to Apollo, this problem is with csh ... if you run csh scripts over
a mount point, it gets hosed and dies.  They are working on a patch.  Also
with NFS2.3, it will support automounting ....

--

Douglas L. Acker

ChemShare Corporation
DesignMaster Division

dla@chemsh.UUCP       713-267-5602

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun12.175533.2004@chemsh.uucp> dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) writes:
>In article <1991Jun11.233532.1920@chemsh.uucp>, dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) writes:
>|> I'm another person who found that NFS 2.2 bombs on a 425s ...
>|> Has anyone found a fix or has HP/Apollo Acknowledged the problem?
>
>Talking to Apollo, this problem is with csh ... if you run csh scripts over
>a mount point, it gets hosed and dies.  They are working on a patch.  Also
>with NFS2.3, it will support automounting ....

Does this mean that if I avoid csh scripts, then NFS2.2 should be
usable? (I don't mean good - just *usable* ;-/) - I was just getting
excited about the prospect of a usable version of NFS when all these
horror stories started appearing... might I actually dare to use
NFS2.2?

Colin

--
  Colin Dente                     | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
  Manchester Computing Centre     | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk

christos@theory.TC.Cornell.EDU (Christos S. Zoulas) (06/15/91)

In article <2694@m1.cs.man.ac.uk> dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) writes:

>Does this mean that if I avoid csh scripts, then NFS2.2 should be
>usable? (I don't mean good - just *usable* ;-/) - I was just getting
>excited about the prospect of a usable version of NFS when all these
>horror stories started appearing... might I actually dare to use
>NFS2.2?

I think that the root of the problem is vfork() and it manifests itself
when using csh. If you can avoid using vfork()....

christos
--
Christos Zoulas         | 389 Theory Center, Electrical Engineering,
christos@ee.cornell.edu | Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853.

dla@chemsh.uucp (Doug Acker) (06/18/91)

In article <2694@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) writes:

|> >Talking to Apollo, this problem is with csh ... if you run csh scripts over
|> >a mount point, it gets hosed and dies.  They are working on a patch.  Also
|> >with NFS2.3, it will support automounting ....
|>
|> Does this mean that if I avoid csh scripts, then NFS2.2 should be
|> usable? (I don't mean good - just *usable* ;-/) - I was just getting
|> excited about the prospect of a usable version of NFS when all these
|> horror stories started appearing... might I actually dare to use
|> NFS2.2?
|>
|> Colin

I think that would be a correct statement.

--

Douglas L. Acker

ChemShare Corporation
DesignMaster Division