[comp.sys.apollo] Installing EtherNet Card...

philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) (06/17/91)

Recompile the kernal!!!  Ugghh...  You NEVER have to recompile
the kernal on an Apollo...  Just put the EtherNet card in the
Apollo and run CONFIG from the MD.  You didn't mention wether
this node was diskless or not...  If it's diskless, you will
have to have a disked partner for it on the Ethernet segment.
Assuming it's a disked node...

   1. Shut down (shut at the login: prompt) and power-off the
         machine.
   2. Replace the network card.
   3. Put the Service/Normal switch on the back of the node
         (toggle switch next to the white reset switch) in
         Service mode.
   4. Power the node up and press return a few times.
   5. You should get a '>' prompt.
   6. Type 'EX CONFIG'
   7. Follow the directions to select Ethernet as the network
         card and as the primary network.
   8. After exiting CONFIG you should get a '>' prompt
   9. Type 'RE', Return a few times to get the '>' again and
         then type 'TE' to test the new configuration.
  10. Put the service/normal switch back in the normal position
         and reset the node.
  11. If everything checked out, the node should boot up and run
         just fine...
  12. You're done...  Relax...

If the node is diskless, things are basically the same but
different enough that I didn't want to confuse things...  If the
node is diskless, mail me and I'll give you the details...

Sincerely,
Philip D. Pokorny
philip@cel.cummins.com
:)

lampi@polari.UUCP (Michael Lampi) (06/19/91)

In article <9106171559.AA16138@cel.cummins.com> philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) writes:
>Recompile the kernal!!!  Ugghh...  You NEVER have to recompile
>the kernal on an Apollo...  Just put the EtherNet card in the

This isn't about the Ethernet card, but there have been MANY MANY times that
I would have loved to have had the ability to recompile the kernal on Apollo
systems. For example:

   1. Non-ESDI winchesters on DN-3000/3500/4X00/5500?
   2. Truly transparent, low overhead serial muxes?
   3. Alternatives to the graphics offerings?
   4. CD-ROMs 3 or 4 years ago (instead of just now)?
   5. WORMs 4 years ago (NATIVE) instead of the current kludges?
   6. Alternatives to the networking offerings (ARCnet, SCSI, etc.)
   7. Better tape drive support (fast file seeks, density, etc.)
   8. High performance real-time processing
   9. Full erasable optical support 2 or more years ago?
  10. Automatic backup, restore and archiving systems

And this is just for starters!

Unfortunately, even if one has access to the source (as I did), there is no
current mechanism for a third party to send a customer kernal source changes,
patches, whatever, to incorporate the changes at the customer site. Also,
with the kinds of changes Apollo does/did to the OS, the underlying code
would change fairly significantly from release to release. :-(

I guess this is a flame, so...
***FLAME OFF***    :-)

--
-----