[comp.sys.apollo] DSEE 4.0

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/18/91)

I tried placing this to the HP/Apollo info-dsee mailing list, and didn't
see it.  I'll try it again, and also post to comp.sys.apollo ....

We recently recieved our DSEE 4.0 upgrade, with a new graphical interface (X),
heterogeneous building and debugging, concurrent builds in a heterogeneous
environment, new distinctions for build rules (prism_elements), reference paths,
split pools, auto-retry on builds, builder lists, proper $SHELL variable
use, etc. etc. etc.  In short, a neat new toy to play with.

We also received the new(?) documentation for DSEE.  The manual on "Getting
Started With the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)" is from July
1988.  It's for rev 3.3, and except for an HP binder page, it appears to be
the same.  Oh well, maybe they don't want us to get started with the new
features.  Of course, the illustrations will be wrong, but....

The manual on "Using the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)" is
indeed from April, 1991.  It seems to be for DSEE 4.0, and although I haven't
done more than scan it, it seems to be correct.

The "Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE) Command Reference" manual,
however, is from April, 1987.  Except for a new HP cover sheet, it is the
same manual as the 3.3 version, which is the same as the version that
was in use on SR9.7 (and before?)!!!  It does not have any of the new features
documented;  it gives no help for doing anything new;  it doesn't even tell
you how to complain right!!!!  (It offers information on the 'crucr' program.)

Why these manuals were sent (Getting Started and Command Reference) is beyond
me.  How we are supposed to use these manuals to transition to 4.0 is beyond
me.  What we _are_ supposed to do with these manuals is also beyond me.

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

When in danger, when in doubt --
run in circles, scream and shout.

beierl_c@apollo.hp.com (Christopher Beierl) (06/18/91)

In article <9106172034.AA05178@pan.ssec.honeywell.com> thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
>We recently recieved our DSEE 4.0 upgrade, ...
>
>We also received the new(?) documentation for DSEE.  The manual on "Getting
>Started With the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)" is from July
>1988.  It's for rev 3.3, and except for an HP binder page, it appears to be
>the same.  Oh well, maybe they don't want us to get started with the new
>features.  Of course, the illustrations will be wrong, but....

You should have:

"Getting Started with the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)",
Order No. 008788-A01, April 1991 (HP ref no. D-8788-B)

>The manual on "Using the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)" is
>indeed from April, 1991.  It seems to be for DSEE 4.0, and although I haven't
>done more than scan it, it seems to be correct.

"Using the Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE)",
Order No. 015798-A00, April 1991 (HP ref no. D-15798-B)

>The "Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE) Command Reference" manual,
>however, is from April, 1987.  Except for a new HP cover sheet, it is the
>same manual as the 3.3 version, which is the same as the version that
>was in use on SR9.7 (and before?)!!!  It does not have any of the new features
>documented;  it gives no help for doing anything new;  it doesn't even tell
>you how to complain right!!!!  (It offers information on the 'crucr' program.)

"Domain Software Engineering Environment (DSEE) Reference",
Order No.003016-A00, April 1991 (HP ref no. D-3016-B)

>Why these manuals were sent (Getting Started and Command Reference) is beyond
>me.  How we are supposed to use these manuals to transition to 4.0 is beyond
>me.  What we _are_ supposed to do with these manuals is also beyond me.

Sorry!  I would get in touch with your salesperson and request the correct (new)
manuals.

-Chris

alek@spatial.com ( Alek O. Komarnitsky ) (06/19/91)

In article <9106172034.AA05178@pan.ssec.honeywell.com> thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:
>I tried placing this to the HP/Apollo info-dsee mailing list, and didn't
>see it.  I'll try it again, and also post to comp.sys.apollo ....

Ummmm, we signed up for the DSEE mailing list a while ago as described on
page 15 of the March 4, 1991 Release Notes. We received a couple of messages,
but then absolutely nothing for the last several weeks.
I then sent E-mail to info-dsee-request@apollo.hp.com (cc'ed to info-dsee)
asking if anyone was alive out there. Zip response.

Is anybody actually using the info-dsee E-mailing list?
Great idea HP/Apollo, but what happened?

Alek Komarnitsky                                      303-449-0649
Software Tools Manager, Spatial Technology, Inc.      2425 55th Street, Bldg A
alek@spatial.com                                      Boulder, CO 80301-5704
dsee@spatial.com  for DSEE related E-mail