[comp.sys.apollo] Any way to backup SUN file systems on Apollo via Apollo NFS mounts?

BSHORT@mar.ed.ray.com (06/12/91)

Hello out there!

    Has anyone found a way to use TAR or some other tape utility to backup
SUN filesystems via Apollo/Domain NFS mounts.  The Apollo NFS manual states
that Apollo RBAK, WBAK, RWMT are not supported but does not mention TAR in the
list of very few UNIX commands which are unsupported across an NFS mount.
    In using TAR, one gets a "filetype" error for each object on the target
SUN host.  Perhaps some combination of RSH, DD, TAR, and somethihng else might
be the key.  Please also give the key to restoring from tape back across to
the SUN as well.  We are running Apollo/Domain SR10.3.
    Please respond to mail address below as I am unable to read news yet.

                                            Thank you,

                                            Bill Short (bshort@mar.ed.ray.com)
                                            Raytheon Co.
                                            Equipment Division
                                            Mail Stop 2-2-2734
                                            1001 Boston Post Rd.
                                            Marlboro, MA 01752 - U.S.A.

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/13/91)

Actually, I am using "rdump" executing on my Sun to write on
my apollo tape drive. The /.rhosts file on the apollo must be
set up to allow the Sun access to the apollo, the /etc/rmt
remote magtape program must be present on the apollo, and
the magtape device files on the apollo must exist. The command
I execute on my Sun is:

rdump 0udsbf 54000 6000 64 conrad:/dev/ws_rmt12 /dev/sd2g

where "conrad" is the apollo with the tape drive, and
/dev/ws_rmt12 is the device file on //conrad for my Workstation
Solutions 8mm Exabyte drive.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet
(in order of decreasing preference)

P.S. /.rhosts *must* be owned by "root", and on many systems it
     must also have the Unix protection mode set to "600".

rfh3273@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com (Dick Harrigill) (06/19/91)

In article <9106121310.AA16560@ray.com> BSHORT@mar.ed.ray.com writes:
>    Has anyone found a way to use TAR or some other tape utility to backup
>SUN filesystems via Apollo/Domain NFS mounts.

I too am interested.  The only thing I have been able to do is to mount the
SUN from Apollo, cd/wd into the Sun file system, create a tar or wbak file on
the Sun disk and copy it to the Apollo where it can then be written to tape.

What fumes me is Omniback's inability to do this, as the NUMBER ONE
feature that Apollo touts about Omniback was the ability to back up a
heterogeneous network.  THIS IS A LIE AND DON'T BELEIVE IT!  Even in the
new upcoming Omniback 2.0, backups will be able to happen, but restores to
anything owned by root will not work.

--
Dick Harrigill, an independent voice from:     Boeing Commercial Airplanes
M/S 9R-49  PO BOX 3707                       Renton Avionics/Flight Systems

root@ladwp (06/20/91)

>In article <9106121310.AA16560@ray.com> BSHORT@mar.ed.ray.com writes:
>>    Has anyone found a way to use TAR or some other tape utility to backup
>>SUN filesystems via Apollo/Domain NFS mounts.

>What fumes me is Omniback's inability to do this, as the NUMBER ONE
>feature that Apollo touts about Omniback was the ability to back up a
>heterogeneous network.  THIS IS A LIE AND DON'T BELEIVE IT!  Even in the
>new upcoming Omniback 2.0, backups will be able to happen, but restores to
>anything owned by root will not work.

The third party workstation solutions offers a couple of products which
allow for backup of remote filesystems using Apollo/Domain NFS mounts.

The first is The Backup Accelerator I believe is simply a rewrite of the
wbak and rbak commands. Their literature specifically mentions NFS filesystem
backup and restore. The rewritten commands can read and write to a wide range
of storage units including I believe the 8mm units HP/Apollo sells as well as
workstation solutions supplied units.

The second is The Backup Architect which provides an Omniback like solution,
which is not based on NCS, is based on the rewritten wbak and rbak commands,
uses logical file indexing on the 8mm units.

We do not have either of these packages in house.
Anyone like to comment on how well either of these packages work ?

I have no connection with workstatin solutions other then attending their
presentation at last year's ADUS and being on their mailing list.

The details are available from :

         Workstation Solutions
         15 Trafalgar Square
         Nashua, NH 03063