[comp.sys.apollo] using tar on nfs file system.

fridman@aa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Robert Fridman) (06/18/91)

I am trying to tar up a directory that is in an NFS mounted
file system.

I get this error:

	tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive foo.  It is of type nfs_dir.

Nither the tar or nfs man pages describe this.

But a copy worked.

SETUP:  DN4500, 10.3, nfs+patch 186, ethernet. Connected to sun4, SunOs 4.1.1.

Has anyone seen this before.

Thanks in advanced

	RF.

system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca (System Admin (Mike Peterson)) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.195903.20887@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> fridman@aa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Robert Fridman) writes:

>I am trying to tar up a directory that is in an NFS mounted
>file system.
>I get this error:
>	tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive foo.  It is of type nfs_dir.

You can't use tar on an NFS file system - this is documented somewhere
in the NFS release notes I think. This is supposed to be fixed in the
NFS release due out this fall/winter, since without this (and other
improvements to Apollo NFS) you can't talk properly to foreign systems like
HP 7x0s running HP-UX. You will also be able to wbak/rbak NFS files,
and root will have root permissions, I'm told.
--
Mike Peterson, System Administrator, U/Toronto Department of Chemistry
E-mail: system@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/18/91)

In article <1991Jun17.195903.20887@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>, fridman@aa.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Robert Fridman) writes:

  	tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive foo.  It is of type nfs_dir.

Whoever did this to tar should be shot.  No wait, they should be forced to
use MS-DOS, then shot.  Whoever did this has absolutely no concept of what
Domain/OS is all about, and clearly doesn't understand the first thing about
typed file systems.  I can only hope that this was some contractor and not
an actual Apollo engineer.

But those of us who have been using Apollo systems for a while know that
tar has never worked.  It's sort of a joke, but it's too bad that it has to
be at the customer's expense.

You can get a working version of tar from several different places.  I
suggest either the gnu tar, or John Gilmore's PD tar, which is available by
ftp from pisa.citi.umich.edu.

The funny thing is that if they had just taken the Berkeley tar and compiled
it, instead of mucking with it, it would work just fine.

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com. (Thomas J. Gilg) (06/20/91)

>  	tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive foo.  It is of type nfs_dir.

> The funny thing is that if they had just taken the Berkeley tar and compiled
> it, instead of mucking with it, it would work just fine.

I suspect the mucking they did was to support the "-A" option.   Using -A,
tar captures file type info.   The flaw was that they still look at file typing
without -A specified.   All Apollo-isms should be ignored if -A isn't given.

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com

In article <523f42f3.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:
>The funny thing is that if they had just taken the Berkeley tar and compiled
>it, instead of mucking with it, it would work just fine.

Ah, but then it wouldn't preserve ACLs or ObjectIDs correctly, and
tons of people were complaining about that, so support for that was
put in.  Clearly a mistake was made in the process - the options should
have been distinct and the code separate, but apparently not.  Although
at least it doesn't just go and copy the NFS object and not complain!

--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

wjw@ebh.eb.ele.tue.nl (Willem Jan Withagen) (06/20/91)

In article <101020055@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com.>, tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com. (Thomas J. Gilg) writes:
=>
=> >  	tar: ERROR!! Cannot archive foo.  It is of type nfs_dir.
=>
=> > The funny thing is that if they had just taken the Berkeley tar and compiled
=> > it, instead of mucking with it, it would work just fine.
=>
=> I suspect the mucking they did was to support the "-A" option.   Using -A,
=> tar captures file type info.   The flaw was that they still look at file typing
=> without -A specified.   All Apollo-isms should be ignored if -A isn't given.

Well see the following STRANGE behaviour, anybody who can explain?

ebh{wjw}4: /com/ld -a /usr/sun/root

Directory "//eba/usr/sun/root":

sys   type      blocks  current
type  uid         used   length   attr rights       name

file  type?          4      3803  P                 .cshrc
file  type?          1        15  P                 .cshrc5
file  type?          1       157  P                 .defaults
file  type?          1       458  P                 .history
file  type?          2      1626  P                 .login
file  type?          1        84  P                 .login5
file  type?          1       113  P                 .profile
file  type?          1        70  P                 .profile5
file  type?          1        56  P                 .rhosts
file  type?          0         0  P                 .rhosts5
file  type?          1       466  P                 .rootmenu
file  type?          1       297  P                 .suntools
dir   type?          1        88  P                 apollo
link                                                awb
dir   type?          2      3652  P                 bin
file  type?         36     36244  P                 boot
dir   type?          5     12408  P                 dev
dir   type?          2      3828  P                 etc
dir   type?          1       308  P                 install
file  type?        160    152473  P                 kadb
dir   type?          1       616  P                 lib
dir   type?          8        88  P                 lost+found
dir   type?          1        88  P                 mnt
dir   type?          1       176  P                 stand
dir   type?          1       748  P                 suntools
link                                                sys
link                                                tmp
dir   type?          5       176  P                 tmpdev3.5
dir   type?          1        88  P                 usr
dir   type?          1        88  P                 usr2
file  type?        544    548680  P                 vmunix
file  type?          2      1369  P                 wjw_actie

32 entries, 787 blocks used.

[Note: the type mgrs ARE installed in the /sys/mgrs]

ebh{wjw}6: obty /usr/sun/root
"/usr/sun/root" object type is nfs_gate - remote from "//eba"

But then I can still go: (it takes ages, .... but it works)

ebh{wjw}7: tar cvf /tmp/barf /usr/sun/root
a /usr/sun/root/etc/fstab 1 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/exports 1 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/nd.local 1 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/dkinfo 48 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/nd 96 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/dump 176 Blocks
a /usr/sun/root/etc/rdump symbolic link to /etc/dump
a /usr/sun/root/etc/group 2 Blocks
.
.
.