[comp.sys.apollo] Questions on Installing EnterNet Card.

n8735053@fozzie.cc.wwu.edu (Iain) (06/16/91)

Ok...

I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.

What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
    rid of that Apollo Ring Card????

Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
     Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?

thanks any help would be appriecated...... and welcomed....

-iain

p.s.
  I need to know before the 19th.... before I leave on a trip.
--
:>
--

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/17/91)

> I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>
> What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>     rid of that Apollo Ring Card????
>
> Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
>      Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?
Good God, no!  First off, you'd need source to recompile the kernel, and
Apollo does not provide source-code licenses to anyone short of God.
Second, you don't need to do anything so ugly.  These are Apollos, after
all.

Things to do:
    1) Run the 'jumper' program (in /systest/ssr_util) to find out the
       necessary jumper settings for the controller.
    2) Shut down the DN3000.
    3) At the MD prompt '>', type in 'RE' <RETURN> <RETURN>.  You should
       get a beep and screen flash as it resets.  If not, try again.
    4) Type 'EX CONFIG'
    5) Tell it that you want to change the configuration, and when it
       gets to the controller(s), tell it that you have an ethernet
       controller (unit 0), not a ring controller.  (Incidentally, you
       can just press <RETURN> to anything that you don't want to change.)
    6) Turn off the machine, rip out the ring controller, put in the ether-
       net controller, hook it up, and turn it on.

If you want to be a little more conservative, brin the node up in service
mode, execute 'TE' to test the devices (done automagically in normal mode),
and then run DEX to test the ethernet device.

If you want to be a lot more conservative, start out by adding the ethernet
controller whiel keeping the ring device.  You'll need to say which device
is primary, and you'll need to assign network numbers (in /etc/rc, the
'rtsvc' command.  Leave the network that's got other stuff on it as netID
0, if possible (otherwise, you need to run around to a lot of nodes).
After you're happy with 2 controllers, then rip out the ring controller,
running CONFIG to let it know that you've done so.

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

When in danger, when in doubt --
run in circles, scream and shout.

spear_r@apollo.hp.com (Robert Spear) (06/17/91)

In article <n8735053.677055454@fozzie> n8735053@fozzie.cc.wwu.edu (Iain) writes:
>Ok...
>
>I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>
>What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>    rid of that Apollo Ring Card????
>

>Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
>     Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?
>

>thanks any help would be appriecated...... and welcomed....
>
>-iain
>
>p.s.
>  I need to know before the 19th.... before I leave on a trip.
>--
>:>
>--
>[   IAIN@wwu.edu,   uw-beaver!wwu.edu!IAIN,   n8735053@henson.cc.wwu.edu     ]
>".... But you can't quote me on that ...."   -- Scot Vidican

Iain, go into the /systest/ssr_util directory - run the jumper program and
select the appropriate keys to get to the configurations for the ethernet
cards.  It doesnt matter if you select a-add-eth or a-net-eth.  Make sure
the jumpers are set.  If you are using thicknet, then set the big blue
jumper to DIX, if you are using thinnet, set it to BNC.  If you are using
sr10.+, then the sfw is all there for tcp.  If you are using 9.7, then
you will need optional sfw - either bsd4.2 tcp or tcp v3.1 ( Aegis ).
If you need more info - email me.

In article <n8735053.677055454@fozzie> n8735053@fozzie.cc.wwu.edu (Iain) writes:
>Ok...
>
>I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>
>What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>    rid of that Apollo Ring Card????
Plug it in and run config at the boot shell I would guess, although
I don't know the specifics of which cards work and which don't.  You
may however have some problems.  Early versions of the DN3000 predate
the use of ethernet cards as primary network access cards.  As a result
some versions of the DN3000 (depends on the version number on the boot
prom, and I don't know what version is necessary, although I'd sure
like to) won't autoboot without a ringboard installed.  To make things
worse, they won't use the ethernet board for Apollo networking
functions if the ringboard *is* installed.  If you don't have to
autoreboot very often, then this is no big deal, since bringing it
up by hand without the selftests works fine, but be forewarned.

>Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
>     Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?
Actually it's impossible, so don't worry about it.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

root@novatel.uucp (The Super (ab)User) (06/18/91)

n8735053@fozzie.cc.wwu.edu (Iain) writes:
>I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>    rid of that Apollo Ring Card????

First make sure you have a 3c505.  If you want to boot the thing
diskless then you probably want the firmware that Apollo supplies
when they sell you a 3c505 for 6 times the normal cost of the card,
otherwise you don't care.

Make sure you have a rev12 or greater motherboard.  This is what
I was told by the people at Mentor, however, I had a rev3 motherboard
(DN3010) and copied the boot prom out of a newer motherboard and
it worked fine.

>Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
>     Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?

Tell them to stop smoking them drugs.  All you have to do after
you plug the card into the machine is run config and tell it you
have Easternet instead of Tolkien Ring.

(Incidentally, I've never tried this with a 3000, but have on my
3010, so your mileage may vary...)
UUCP: herb@blender.UUCP   || #define Janitor Administrator
I brew, therefore I am..  || Apollo System_Janitor, Novatel Communications
"I spilled spot remover on my dog and now he's gone..." <Steven Wright>

dbfunk@ICAEN.UIOWA.EDU (David B Funk) (06/18/91)

IN posting <n8735053.677055454@fozzie>, Iain writes:

> I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>
> What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>  rid of that Apollo Ring Card????

  There have already been several good replys on changing the config,
etc; but there's one more little detail. If you have an old DN3000,
(pre May'87) the boot ROM won't know how to talk to the E-net card.
You need a revision 4.0 or newer boot ROM to work completely
properly with the E-net card.

  To check your boot ROM revision:
Shut down the machine, type in the "RE" command and <return> key twice.
    >RE

    MD8  REV 3.0  1986/05/13

(The above output was from a machine with a rev 3.0 boot ROM)

  You can still use the E-net card in a DN3k with the old boot ROM,
it will work OK once the OS is booted, it is just that there will
be 2 problems. One is, if you remove the ATR card then the self test
diagnostics will fail. The machine will not auto-boot, you will have
to force it to boot by hand (give the "EX DOMAIN_OS" command).
The other is, you won't be able to use the E-net from the MD
(boot ROM) level. IE you cannot boot the machine diskless off another
Apollo on the E-net; you will always have to boot it off its internal
disk.

Dave Funk

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/18/91)

In article <root.677187500@novatel>, root@novatel.uucp (The Super (ab)User) writes:

  First make sure you have a 3c505.  If you want to boot the thing
  diskless then you probably want the firmware that Apollo supplies
  when they sell you a 3c505 for 6 times the normal cost of the card,
  otherwise you don't care.

We pay about the same whether we buy from Apollo or from a 3com distributor.
I think it might be 10% more from Apollo but that's fair for the prom.  This
is with university discount.

  Make sure you have a rev12 or greater motherboard.  This is what
  I was told by the people at Mentor, however, I had a rev3 motherboard
  (DN3010) and copied the boot prom out of a newer motherboard and
  it worked fine.

I don't think the rev matters, but the boot prom does.  To find out if yours
supports ether booting, give it the "LN" (list networks) command.  If it
understands this, then you can boot from ether, if your ether board has the
Apollo prom on it.  Unfortunately, in general you can't boot from ether
anyway because of bugs in netboot.  But at least you can have fun trying.

edwill@ariel.lerc.nasa.gov (Glenn L. Williams) (06/21/91)

In article <n8735053.677055454@fozzie>, n8735053@fozzie.cc.wwu.edu (Iain) writes...
>Ok...
>
>I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
>
>What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
>    rid of that Apollo Ring Card????
>

>Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
>     Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?

We use Apollos over the Ethernet without ATR.  Works fine. The card
may be 3Com, but I am not going to open the machine right now to
find out.  There is an "ifconfig" statement  in the .rc bootup for
setting which interface.  No need to recompile (under 10.1!, using
SYS5.3!)..  So all you need to know (I think) is -- is this the
right card??