[comp.sys.apollo] sau7 on a floppy

SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) (06/20/91)

Let's say I invol a floppy disk, and copy sysboot and /sau7 onto it.
Then, let's say the hard disk goes beserk, and needs salvaging but I
can't find the /sau7 directory on the hard disk.

There's a way to 'ex salvol' off the floppy, isn't there? How would I do
this?

Don't worry, it's not an emergency anymore, I brought the system home to
where I could boot it diskless and re-invol and re-install software. Normally,
the system is out at another site by itself, that's why I need some non-network
way to run salvol.

Thanks,
Scott Ferguson
srfergu@erenj.bitnet

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/20/91)

> Let's say I invol a floppy disk, and copy sysboot and /sau7 onto it.
> Then, let's say the hard disk goes beserk, and needs salvaging but I
> can't find the /sau7 directory on the hard disk.
>
> There's a way to 'ex salvol' off the floppy, isn't there? How would I do
> this?
Sure.  At the MD prompt (the '>' one), type in
    RE          <RETURN>
                <RETURN>
    DI F        <RETURN>
    EX SALVOL   <RETURN>
    (or any other progs, like INVOL, CHUVOL, CALENDAR, CONFIG, DEX, ...)
    RE          <RETURN>
                <RETURN>

Note that a full SAU7 directory takes up over 5 MB.  I don't think you'll
be able to put all that on a floppy disk.  The big ones are domain_os
(don't bother, 'cause you need to much other stuff), and DEX and its support.
The rest of the stuff takes up about 2MB -- too much for one boot-floppy,
but probably ok for 2 floppies.  My (10.3) sau7 lists the following (along
with other stuff that I ignored):
    file  nil          222    225946  P    -rwx-        calendar
    file  nil          359    364186  P    -rwx-        chuvol
    file  nil          223    226970  P    -rwx-        config
    file  nil          220    223898  P    -rwx-        fbs
    file  nil          256    260762  P    -rwx-        invol
    file  nil          216    219802  P    -rwx-        rwvol
    file  nil          436    443034  P    -rwx-        salvol
I could see putting SALVOL/INVOL on one, and CHUVOL/CONFIG/FBS/RWVOL on
another (the floppies are 1MB, right?)  Skip CALENDAR, because it's not
worth it for the most part.

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Avoid the rush -- Procrastinate Now!

dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Colin Dente) (06/21/91)

In article <9106201257.AA15493@engin.umich.edu> SRFERGU%ERENJ@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU (Scott Ferguson) writes:

>Let's say I invol a floppy disk, and copy sysboot and /sau7 onto it.
>Then, let's say the hard disk goes beserk, and needs salvaging but I
>can't find the /sau7 directory on the hard disk.
>
>There's a way to 'ex salvol' off the floppy, isn't there? How would I do
>this?

Well - you're almost there.  Make sure you use cpboot to copy sysboot, and
I wouldn't expect to be able to copy all of /sau7 onto the floppy! - I'd
go for just /sau7/salvol.

When you need to use it - just slam the disk in, type:
> DI F
> EX SALVOL

And Bob's yer auntie's live-in lover...

Colin

--
  Colin Dente                     | JANET: dente@uk.ac.man.ee.els
  Manchester Computing Centre     | ARPA:  dente@els.ee.man.ac.uk

krowitz@RICHTER.MIT.EDU (David Krowitz) (06/21/91)

The DM command "DI" directs the DNxxxx boot PROM to select
the specified boot device. "DI N" tells it to boot from the
Apollo token ring using whichever partner responds first,
"DI W" tells it to boot from its primary disk (ie. the lowest
number ESDI disk on DN3xxx/4xxx, or the highest numbered SCSI
disk on DN2500), "DI C" tells it to boot from the cartridge
tape unit, and "DI F" tells it to boot from the floppy.

 -- David Krowitz

krowitz@richter.mit.edu   (18.83.0.109)
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu
krowitz%richter.mit.edu@mitvma.bitnet