[comp.sys.apollo] ADUS Ban

rfh3273@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com (Dick Harrigill) (06/20/91)

As I pointed out in several posts concerning the ADUS Sys Admin
conference last spring, the low point was a sales type pitch of
the 700 series box, and its "incredible" price/performance ratio.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of hearing about
this non-Apollo non-Domain box.  I will never order one; I have
no use for one because it does not run Domain OS.  I will NOT be
converting to OSF for at least 2-3 years.

I therefore request to the officers of ADUS (APOLLO DOMAIN USER'S
SOCIETY) that this non-Domain box be banned from the upcoming
ADUS conference (except in the vendor booth area), and that HP
not be allowed to make any presentations concerning this box.

--
Dick Harrigill, an independent voice from:     Boeing Commercial Airplanes
M/S 9R-49  PO BOX 3707                       Renton Avionics/Flight Systems

rfh3273@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com (Dick Harrigill) (06/21/91)

In article <434@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com> rfh3273@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com
(Dick Harrigill) writes:
>I therefore request to the officers of ADUS (APOLLO DOMAIN USER'S
>SOCIETY) that this non-Domain box be banned from the upcoming
>ADUS conference (except in the vendor booth area), and that HP
>not be allowed to make any presentations concerning this box.

Sorry for the follow-up to myself, but I left out the end:

The reason for proposing this ban may be a way of getting HP's attention.
To specifically demand that HP make no formal mention of their newest
"pride & joy" may actually get a point across to someone.
It is clear that Apollo is being dealt a death blow.  We need a defense.
We need a dramatic "wake up and smell the coffee" action.  Since the
700 is NOT APOLLO and is NOT DOMAIN, it does not belong at an APOLLO
DOMAIN group.  If HP is allowed to present this box, please invite Sun to
present the SPARC, IBM the RS6000, etc.   After all, fair is fair.  If
Apollo is to die, we need to know what ALL our options are.  HP is but one
option.

I would rather be a first class customer with a slightly inferior product,
than be a second class customer.  Apollo users are HP's second class customers.

Judge HP not by what they say (as their proper verbage so eloquantly tries
to ease our minds);  judge them by what they do.

--

bruce@dannet.UUCP (Bruce Hill) (06/22/91)

In article <434@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com>, rfh3273@galileo.rtn.ca.boeing.com (Dick Harrigill) writes:

> I don't know about everyone else, but I'm sick of hearing about
> this non-Apollo non-Domain box.
> --
> Dick Harrigill, an independent voice from:     Boeing Commercial Airplanes

It is kind of ironic that they put the Apollo logo on the front of the
Series 700 machines when they have absolutely no Apollo blood in their
background.  These new machines only run HP-UX (currently), OSF/1 (sometime
in the future) and will never run DomainOS.

Bruce Hill
Danford Corporation
uunet!dannet!bruce