[comp.sys.apollo] Kernel Sources

dan@chemsh.uucp (David Neal) (06/18/91)

In article <9106171410.AA04133@pan.ssec.honeywell.com>, thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) writes:

|> > I've got an Apollo DN3000.... and a 3com EtherNet Card in hand.
|> >
|> > What is the next best step to preceed to installing it and getting
|> >     rid of that Apollo Ring Card????
|> >
|> > Somebody mentioned that I might have to re-compile the kernel...
|> >      Sounds pretty ugly... Has anyone done it before ?
|> Good God, no!  First off, you'd need source to recompile the kernel, and
|> Apollo does not provide source-code licenses to anyone short of God.
|> Second, you don't need to do anything so ugly.  These are Apollos, after
|> all.

Speaking of sources... does Apollo supply enough technical information
to port a new OS to the box? A quick port of MACH, slap on the unix
emulation, compile up X and voila! One very expensive X terminal!

Come to think of it, BSD 4.4 on a DN10000... wonder how much
more you could squeeze out of the box by dumping AEGIS?

|> John Thompson

Argh, something tells me I've just entered the flame-war starters
hall of fame.

--
David Neal - Unix Contractor at large -- dan@chemsh.uucp - (800) 486-3972
APOLLO: Unix? We can do better than that! ... Just kidding!

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael Gschwind) (06/19/91)

In article <1991Jun18.145814.5910@chemsh.uucp> dan@chemsh.uucp (David Neal) writes:

   Speaking of sources... does Apollo supply enough technical information
   to port a new OS to the box? A quick port of MACH, slap on the unix
   emulation, compile up X and voila! One very expensive X terminal!

I wonder if there is enough expertise for making an OS run on Apollo
boxes. There a lot to do: device drivers, networking s/w (ATR ?),
etc. etc. - But I would most certainly _love_ to run the GNU OS on our
Apollos, once it's available...

				bye,
					mike
--

Michael Gschwind, Dept. of VLSI-Design, Vienna University of Technology
mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at	1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door

In article <MIKE.91Jun19142031@cuba.vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at> mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael Gschwind) writes:
>I wonder if there is enough expertise for making an OS run on Apollo
>boxes. There a lot to do: device drivers, networking s/w (ATR ?),
>etc. etc. - But I would most certainly _love_ to run the GNU OS on our
>Apollos, once it's available...

I'd settle for OSF/1.  Which is particularly frustrating, since a
number of the ports have been done, but HP refuses to release them.
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.