[comp.sys.apollo] word wrap

phcalamai@water.waterloo.edu (Paul H. Calamai) (06/02/90)

In my June calendar from Apollo they discuss
(in the Command of the Month) word wrap in an
edit pad.  In there words "To turn on word wrap,
have an edit pad open.  Then hit the Shell/Cmd
button to get the DM command window. Type ww -nn where
'-nn' is the column number at which you want to wrap.
You can also have previously entered lines wrapped
by marking the reqion, then giving the command ww -a
To find out the column number being used for wrapping, give
the command ww -i."

I've tried this and the only thing that works for me
is ww -i (which reports ww at column 0)!

What gives?

Paul Calamai
Dept. of Systems Design Engineering
U. of Waterloo
Waterloo, Ont.
CANADA N2L 3G1
(519) 885-1211 x3182

lambert@spectrum.eecs.unsw.oz (Tim Lambert) (06/06/90)

In article <1990Jun1.200709.21251@water.waterloo.edu> phcalamai@water.waterloo.edu (Paul H. Calamai) writes:

   In my June calendar from Apollo they discuss
   (in the Command of the Month) word wrap in an
   edit pad.  In there words "To turn on word wrap,
   have an edit pad open.  Then hit the Shell/Cmd
   button to get the DM command window. Type ww -nn where
   '-nn' is the column number at which you want to wrap.
   You can also have previously entered lines wrapped
   by marking the reqion, then giving the command ww -a
   To find out the column number being used for wrapping, give
   the command ww -i."

   I've tried this and the only thing that works for me
   is ww -i (which reports ww at column 0)!

You need to say ww -c nn to specify the column to wrap at.

ww -on sets the wrap column to the width of the window.
ww -off switches it off.
ww toggles it.

Tim

root@VLSI-MENTOR.JPL.NASA.GOV (The vlsi-mentor Super User) (06/07/90)

Try using "ww -c nn". I found this out after hacking...

----
Dave Hayes  dave@vlsi-mentor.jpl.nasa.gov   dave%vlsi-mentor@jpl-mil.jpl.nasa.gov
"The word 'choice' is a fraud when one is taught what to choose."

dwv%cadnet@UMIX.CC.UMICH.EDU (Doug Vander Wilt) (06/24/91)

akatz@watertown-emh1.army.mil (Alan H. Katz) writes:
> Some time ago, somewhere, there was a man page for the DM ww ( undocumented)
> command printed. If someone has it could they please post it or e-mail it to me.

The DM editor is the best programming editor I've ever used, and I continue
to appreciate it more after working more with HP-UX where 'vi' is the
standard built-in text editor.  The word-wrap feature extends the DM editor
for simple word processing.  Also, if you haven't already found the
regioning tools, look at 'help echo' and related commands for the '-r'
option and try it out.  Long live the DM editor!

Here's my version of: /sys/help/ww.hlp
-------
9.7;ww (word_wrap) *DM*, dwv 1989/03/17
WW (WORD_WRAP) -- Word-wrapping and paragraph fill for the DM editor.
usage:  ww [ -on | -off | -i | -c n | -a ]

FORMAT

  ww [ -on | -off | -i | -c n | -a ]

  The WW command provides word-wrapping and paragraph fill features for the
  Apollo display manager editor.  WW is a display manager command that acts
  on the active edit window.

  This feature was added at SR9.7 but not documented by Apollo.   This help
  was prepared by Doug Vander Wilt from information in the "ADUS Ring," a
  publication of the Apollo DOMAIN User's Society.

OPTIONS

  If no options are specified, WW toggles word-wrap on or off.  The indicator
  "W" appears in the window legend when word-wrap is on.  The default word-wrap
  column is just to the left of the right edge of the window.

  -on      Turn word-wrap on

  -off     Turn word-wrap off

  -i       Information (show wrap column)

  -c n     Set word-wrap column to "n" (will turn word-wrap on if it is off)

  -a       Adjust (re-wrap) selected region

RELATED TOPICS

  More information is available.  Type:

  HELP WINDOWS
   for general information about windows.

  HELP DM COMMANDS
   for a list of other window management commands.

ruben@bcstec.boeing.com (Reuben Wachtfogel) (06/25/91)

The DM editor is quite impressive though UNIX reality requires
that we have working knowledge of the 'wombat do' editor until
a better standard turns up.

I have noticed however some difficulty in dealing with control-chars
and also would add the following to your word-wrap man page.

KNOWN BUGS:

Inserted chars will sometime overwrite the window edge when word-wrap is
enabled.

e.g.  Open a new edit pad
	  Insert a single char .
	  Hit the <- left arrow key.
	  Hit <CMD> and type ww -c 10<RET>
	  Hold <REPT> and some other key.

Disclaimer: Opinions herein aren't even mine.