[comp.sys.apollo] news, mailing lists, and making the twain meet

johnb@hobbes.mdc.com (John Breen) (06/24/91)

Well, I've just about got a local news system going, with this mailing list
fed into it, but one thing worries me:

I've got c-news & rn installed, a mail alias for the mailing list defined as
follows:

    ml-apollo: "|/bin/awk '!(/^From / && NR==1)' |/usr/lib/news/inews -h -n comp.sys.apollo"

and the newsgroup designated as moderated, as follows (in mailpaths):

    comp.sys.apollo apollo@engin.umich.edu

Each of these appear to work fine separately (although I've only tested the
mail alias manually).  However, I see a potential for an infinite loop: the
mail to ml-apollo will go to inews, which will mail it to
apollo@engin.umich.edu, which will send it back to ml-apollo, ...

I've tested it by manually mailing to ml-list, and it did apparently get sent
to apollo@engin.umich.edu.  Is inews smart enough to figure out when the mail
is coming from the moderator, or do I have a potential problem here?  If the
latter, how should this be done with cnews?

[BTW, I know this is more appropriate for other newsgroups, but this mailing
list is the only "external" news source I have].

--
John A. Breen                           |  johnb@hobbes.mdc.com
McDonnell Douglas Missile Systems Co.   |

johnb@HOBBES.MDC.COM (John Breen) (06/25/91)

In a previous posting, I wrote:
>fed into it, but one thing worries me [...] I see a potential for an infinite
>loop: the mail to [the mail alias] will go to inews, which will mail it to
>apollo@engin.umich.edu, which will send it back to [the alias], ...

Well, it looks like I do have a few problems, since my posting popped up
twice (honest, I only sent it once).  However, I don't even have the mailing
list going to the alias yet, so it's not the infinite loop I was worried about
:-).  The From: line really confuses me...

    From: cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!swrinde
    !elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!news.arc.nasa.gov!aplvax!johnb@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
    (John Breen)

If I understand the "bang" syntax, this is saying that I sent it from
'aplvax', which is wrong (in fact, my host isn't even in the header).  All I
did was post with rn.  Anyone got any ideas? (refer to the original posting
for how I've got some things set up).

Anyway, I think I've found the answer to my original question - the mail
loop is avoided by using '-a' with inews (which adds an 'Approved:' line to
the message); my thanks to David Burren for giving me a hint many weeks ago.

I'm really sorry about all of trouble I'm causing - hopefully, I'll have this
all fixed soon.