[comp.sys.apollo] UNIX Today! article

davidy@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com (David Young) (06/21/91)

Did you see what was said in UNIX Today!, May 27th 1991 page 76
Column 3 near the bottom?  And I quote:

    "Karl Freund, marketing manager at HP's Fort Collins, Colo.,
Systems Division, said HP consulted with Apollo users about running
DomainOS on the new 700 series by late 1992 or 1993 vs. porting OSF/1
to the workstations by the end of 1991.  They advised HP to port
OSF/1, he said."

What!  What Apollo user's where?  What corner of the universe did they
find these dorks in?  How much did they pay them to say this?  I
suggest that we do an informal poll.  If HP had come and asked you the
question as posed above, how would you have responded?  OSF or
DOMAIN/OS?

Count me in the DOMAIN/OS camp.  I'll accept a tally by mail, and
post the results to minimize traffic on this board.

--
David J. Young                      Honeywell -- Air Transport Systems Division
Phone: 602.436.1311                   P.O. Box 21111 M/S P26D3 Phoenix AZ 85036

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/21/91)

> Did you see what was said in UNIX Today!, May 27th 1991 page 76
> Column 3 near the bottom?  And I quote:
>
> ... HP consulted with Apollo users about running
> DomainOS on the new 700 series by late 1992 or 1993 vs. porting OSF/1
> to the workstations by the end of 1991.  They advised HP to port
> OSF/1, he said."
>
> What!  What Apollo user's where?  What corner of the universe did they
> find these dorks in?  How much did they pay them to say this?  I
> suggest that we do an informal poll.  If HP had come and asked you the
> question as posed above, how would you have responded?  OSF or
> DOMAIN/OS?
Well, we weren't asked, so we aren't the dorks that answered that, but,
given the 2 choices listed, I'd probably have answered the way the marketing
weenies intended.  Look at the options (I assume these Qs were asked in
early 1991 (maybe late 1990)) --
    1) You can have no new box for 2 or 3 years.  At that time,
       if you and we are still in business, and we don't change our
       mind, you can have Domain/OS.
    2) You can have a new box with a crippled O/S and limited
       interoperability in 1 year.
Now, out of those "choices", I'd pick (2).  By the same token, if I
were asked whether I wanted to be shot in the head, or slowly have my
skin removed with a dull butterknife, and then be slow-basted over a
set of coals, I'd probably pick the head wound.  I wouldn't enjoy it,
and I'd ask for alternatives, but....

> Count me in the DOMAIN/OS camp.  I'll accept a tally by mail, and
> post the results to minimize traffic on this board.
Don't count me.  That's basically what I would have had to tell the
survey people.  (Tell me, do you still beat your spouse?)

BTW: I know you asked for minimized traffic, but I figured this needed
to be said to the whole net.

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Avoid the rush -- Procrastinate Now!

tjohn@GUMBY.CFSMO.HONEYWELL.COM ("Tony John") (06/21/91)

Dave,

I would have said to do both, port both OSF/1 and Domain/OS and put
the same amount of effort into both.

Tony John                         Honeywell Commercial Flight Systems
612-785-4256                      MN51-1320  8840 Evergreen Blvd.
tjohn@gumby.cfsmo.honeywell.com   Coon Rapids, MN 55433

When I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened
or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I
cannot remember any but the things that never happened.  It is sad to
go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.
		-- Mark Twain

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (06/25/91)

In article <9106202042.AA23680@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com> davidy@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com (David Young) writes:

>Did you see what was said in UNIX Today!, May 27th 1991 page 76
>Column 3 near the bottom?  And I quote:
>
>    "Karl Freund, marketing manager at HP's Fort Collins, Colo.,
>Systems Division, said HP consulted with Apollo users about running
>DomainOS on the new 700 series by late 1992 or 1993 vs. porting OSF/1
>to the workstations by the end of 1991.  They advised HP to port
>OSF/1, he said."
>
>What!  What Apollo user's where?  What corner of the universe did they
>find these dorks in?  How much did they pay them to say this?  I
>suggest that we do an informal poll.  If HP had come and asked you the
>question as posed above, how would you have responded?  OSF or
>DOMAIN/OS?

Do you mean that HP is trying to put words in our mouths?  I can't believe
they would ... uh ... I LOVE MY HP/APOLLO EQUIPMENT.  I HAVE NO COMPLAINTS.
BOY THOSE GUYS AT HP REALLY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING.  ZEEK HILE!  ZEEK HILE!
I'm sorry.  Where was I?

>Count me in the DOMAIN/OS camp.  I'll accept a tally by mail, and
>post the results to minimize traffic on this board.

Ditto here too.

Bryan Province -Glenayre Corp., Quincy, IL- quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
             "I tried putting instant coffee in the microwave,
                I almost went back in time."  - Steven Wright