[comp.sys.apollo] detecting locked objects

dougb@mot.com (DX529 Doug Bank) (06/22/91)

Is there any way to determine if a file is locked other than llkob.
I am trying to write a script that can tell if the file about to be
opened is already being used by someone else.  Without such a check, the
process just bombs.

I know how to use llkob, but it can't check for locked objects on
any node other than the node it is called from.  I know that I could
crp onto the node I'm interested in, but I'm afraid that might slow things
down too much.

Any suggestions?

--
Doug Bank                       Private Systems Division
dougb@mot.com                   Motorola Communications Sector

thompson@PAN.SSEC.HONEYWELL.COM (John Thompson) (06/24/91)

> Is there any way to determine if a file is locked other than llkob.
> I am trying to write a script that can tell if the file about to be
> opened is already being used by someone else.  Without such a check, the
> process just bombs.
>
> I know how to use llkob, but it can't check for locked objects on
> any node other than the node it is called from.  I know that I could
> crp onto the node I'm interested in, but I'm afraid that might slow things
> down too much.

Try using 'llkr' in the /systest/ssr_util directory.  Note that it is _NOT_
a supported program, so you can't count on it (though it's been around for
a looonnnggg time).  Also note that the format is more verbose.  I can't
say for sure, but I think it doesn't always get the locking person/process
correct either.

Example:
  frodo> llkr //merry/local_user/joe_u/com/wait
  Locked by "Joe Username @ //arwen" - joe_u.group.org
  Locking modes on //merry/local_user/joe_u/com/wait : FILE_$NR_XOR_1W FILE_$EXECUTE

-- jt --
John Thompson
Honeywell, SSEC
Plymouth, MN  55441
thompson@pan.ssec.honeywell.com

Avoid the rush -- Procrastinate Now!

bep@quintro.uucp (Bryan Province) (06/25/91)

In article <1991Jun21.193929.15266@mot.com> dougb@mot.com (DX529 Doug Bank) writes:
>Is there any way to determine if a file is locked other than llkob.

Try /systest/ssr_util/llkr.  Help is in /systest/ssr_util/llkr.hlp.

Bryan Province -Glenayre Corp., Quincy, IL- quintro!bep@lll-winken.llnl.gov
             "I tried putting instant coffee in the microwave,
                I almost went back in time."  - Steven Wright