SEMINAR ACTIVITIES

CS 498L COMPUTERS AND THE LAW
OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY

                    - Tuesday, September 29, 1987

Detective   Sergeant  Ted  Green  of  the  Anti-Rackets
Branch-Ontario   Provincial   Police   will   speak  on
``Computer Crime in Canada''.

TIME:                6:00-7:30 PM

ROOM:              MC 2066

ABSTRACT

Detective   Ted   Green   will  present  a  short  film
presentation  and  lecture dealing with the role of law
enforcement  agencies  in  combating computer crime and
the recent changes to the Criminal Code.

EVERYONE WELCOME

dont@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Don Taylor) (09/28/87)

In article <1118@water.waterloo.edu> ylfink@water.UUCP writes:

>DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
>UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO
>SEMINAR ACTIVITIES
>
>CS 498L COMPUTERS AND THE LAW
>OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
>
>                    - Tuesday, September 29, 1987
>
>Detective   Sergeant  Ted  Green  of  the  Anti-Rackets
>Branch-Ontario   Provincial   Police   will   speak  on
>``Computer Crime in Canada''.
>
>TIME:                6:00-7:30 PM
>
>ROOM:              MC 2066
>
>ABSTRACT
>
>Detective   Ted   Green   will  present  a  short  film
>presentation  and  lecture dealing with the role of law
>enforcement  agencies  in  combating computer crime and
>the recent changes to the Criminal Code.
>
>EVERYONE WELCOME

I found this notice very interesting because I have just recently
finished reading an article by Detective Green in (I think it was) the
'OPP Review' (Amazing what insomniacs read in the small hours of the
morning :-)).  Anyhow, what stuck in my craw was an assertion by
Detective Green about BBS's.  He said (and I am quoting from memory)
that while some BBS's were used for perfectly legitimate purposes, the
*majority* were used for illegal activities such as pirating software,
telephone blue-boxing, etc...

Now I don't think that this is true.  At least it is not true of the 6
or so BBS's that I have used in the Ottawa area.  Some of them are
pretty puerile, but that is not illegal yet :-).  I suspect that Det.
Green represents some of the more sophisticated thinking by the OPP
about computer crime, yet he makes a broad condemnation of most BBS
activities, and does so in the trade journal of the OPP.

I cannot attend this lecture, but I wonder if someone who does would
care to ask him how he justifies his statement.  Maybe the OPP has some
statistics on BBS usage that would shock and amaze us all.  I should be
very interested to hear his reply.

- don taylor

--

Don Taylor,
XIOS Systems Corporation,       ...seismo!uunet!mnetor!dciem!nrcaer!xios!dont

ylfink@water.waterloo.edu (ylfink) (09/29/88)

                    -  Tuesday, October 4, 1988

Detective   Sergeant  Ted  Green  of  the  Anti-Rackets
Branch-Ontario   Provincial   Police,   will  speak  on
``Computer Crime in Canada''.

TIME:                5:30-7:30 PM

ROOM:              MC 2065