[comp.sys.apollo] Possible sccs bug

srd@MATHCML.UNL.EDU (Steven R. Dunbar) (06/25/91)

I'm trying to use the sccs command as a front end to the Source Code
Control Programs as described in the man pages.  Something seems to be
wrong though:

sccs get abstract.tex
sccs SYSERR: cannot execute /usr/bin/get
No such file or directory

sccs exists and lives in /usr/ucb
ls -l /usr/ucb/sccs
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        38215 Jun  8  1990 /usr/ucb/sccs

get exists and lives in /usr/bin
ls -l /usr/bin/get
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root        54281 Feb  2  1990 /usr/bin/get

Similar problems occur with admin(1), help(1), etc. etc.
Am I being dense or is something not right?  Other, wiser Apollo users
around here think something's not right!  Your suggestions, please.

I'm using Domain/OS 10.3 with the BSD 4.3 setup.  I remember using this
under 10.2 (?) with no problems.

Steve Dunbar
srd@mathcml.unl.edu

University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Lincoln, NE 68588-0323

mike@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) (06/25/91)

> I'm trying to use the sccs command as a front end to the Source Code
> Control Programs as described in the man pages.  Something seems to be
> wrong though:
>
> sccs get abstract.tex
> sccs SYSERR: cannot execute /usr/bin/get
> No such file or directory
>
> sccs exists and lives in /usr/ucb
> ls -l /usr/ucb/sccs
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root        38215 Jun  8  1990 /usr/ucb/sccs
>
> get exists and lives in /usr/bin
> ls -l /usr/bin/get
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root        54281 Feb  2  1990 /usr/bin/get
>
> Similar problems occur with admin(1), help(1), etc. etc.
> Am I being dense or is something not right?  Other, wiser Apollo users
> around here think something's not right!  Your suggestions, please.
>
> I'm using Domain/OS 10.3 with the BSD 4.3 setup.  I remember using this
> under 10.2 (?) with no problems.

It's likely that your sccs file is "s.abstract.tex", not "abstract.tex"?
Then your get command should be "get s.abstract.tex", which will
retrieve a copy of abstract.tex for you.

This is a common sccs fingerslip on any sccs system, not just Apollos.

Hope this helps.
Mike McNelly
mike@fc.hp.com

scott@labtam.labtam.oz.au (Scott Colwell) (06/27/91)

mike@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Mike McNelly) writes:

>> I'm trying to use the sccs command as a front end to the Source Code
>> Control Programs as described in the man pages.  Something seems to be
>> wrong though:
>>
>> sccs get abstract.tex
>> sccs SYSERR: cannot execute /usr/bin/get
>> No such file or directory
>>
>> sccs exists and lives in /usr/ucb
>> ls -l /usr/ucb/sccs
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root        38215 Jun  8  1990 /usr/ucb/sccs
>>
>> get exists and lives in /usr/bin
>> ls -l /usr/bin/get
>> -rwxr-xr-x   1 root        54281 Feb  2  1990 /usr/bin/get
>>
>> Similar problems occur with admin(1), help(1), etc. etc.
>> Am I being dense or is something not right?  Other, wiser Apollo users
>> around here think something's not right!  Your suggestions, please.
>>
>> I'm using Domain/OS 10.3 with the BSD 4.3 setup.  I remember using this
>> under 10.2 (?) with no problems.

>It's likely that your sccs file is "s.abstract.tex", not "abstract.tex"?
>Then your get command should be "get s.abstract.tex", which will
>retrieve a copy of abstract.tex for you.

>This is a common sccs fingerslip on any sccs system, not just Apollos.

>Hope this helps.
>Mike McNelly
>mike@fc.hp.com

I suggest that you read the manual entry for sccs(1) in the BSD Command
Reference.  (Apollo part number was 005800-A00.)

This command is a front end that prepends the 's.' for you.
--
Scott Colwell
person who has no private phone extension but does have his own net address