[comp.sys.apollo] MacLayers on Apollo...

philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny) (06/28/91)

Sari Khoury asks:
   Hi, I recently got MacLayers all compiled and installed (I think) on my
   account on an Apollo Unix machine. I've heard  that MacLayers is a real
   nice communications program. But when, I type 'layers' it refuses to run
   on the Apollo. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to set it up
   correctly for an Apollo Unix machine.
   Keep in mind, that I am a Novice Unix user so please speak in easy terms :)

        Well... If we are going to help, we need some more information...
(Personally, I have no idea what MacLayers is or what it does...)  So,
what is MacLayers, what is it supposed to do when set up correctly?
When you say it refuses to run, what does that mean, what error messages
do you get.  How did you build the executable, did you use a make
file?  Specifically for the Apollo please give the value of your
SYSTYPE environment variable.

Post some more information and we'll all try and help...

Sincerely,
Philip D. Pokorny
philip@cel.cummins.com
:)

jlhaferman@l_ecn09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) (06/28/91)

From article <9106272158.AA10967@cel.cummins.com>, by philip@cel.cummins.com (Philip D. Pokorny):
> Sari Khoury asks:
>    Hi, I recently got MacLayers all compiled and installed (I think) on my
>    account on an Apollo Unix machine. I've heard  that MacLayers is a real
>    nice communications program. But when, I type 'layers' it refuses to run
>    on the Apollo. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to set it up
>    correctly for an Apollo Unix machine.
>    Keep in mind, that I am a Novice Unix user so please speak in easy terms :)
>
>         Well... If we are going to help, we need some more information...
> (Personally, I have no idea what MacLayers is or what it does...)  So,
> what is MacLayers, what is it supposed to do when set up correctly?
> When you say it refuses to run, what does that mean, what error messages
> do you get.  How did you build the executable, did you use a make
> file?  Specifically for the Apollo please give the value of your
> SYSTYPE environment variable.

I didn't post the original question, but I tried to get Maclayers running
on an Apollo several months ago without any success.  Maclayers is a
shareware (?) program that was available on comp.mac.binaries, and is
a terminal emulator that allows multiple windows (shells) on your Mac.
I got the Mac side of the application running, it is the server side which
runs on the Apollo that I could not get running.  I don't remember the
problems, but I know that for a couple of steps you need to be the
superuser to get things going.  I contacted a couple of people back
then, and their conclusion was that it would take a lot of work to get
it running on an Apollo.  Sorry I don't remember any specifics.

I'd be interested in hearing if anybody has got the thing going on
an Apollo.

Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
University of Iowa
Iowa City IA  52242                                  '76 R90S

rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) (06/28/91)

In article <6708@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, jlhaferman@l_ecn09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:

  I didn't post the original question, but I tried to get Maclayers running
  on an Apollo several months ago without any success... I don't remember the
  problems, but I know that for a couple of steps you need to be the
  superuser to get things going.  I contacted a couple of people back
  then, and their conclusion was that it would take a lot of work to get
  it running on an Apollo.

I've got Maclayers running on sr10.3 here.  It worked first time with no
changes to the source.  I didn't have to be superuser to make, install, or
run it.  I think it's got a #define to turn off mucking with the utmp file,
and you have to do that.

skum@eng.umd.edu (Allon Stern) (06/29/91)

In article <6708@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> jlhaferman@l_ecn09.icaen.uiowa.edu (Jeff Haferman) writes:
>I didn't post the original question, but I tried to get Maclayers running
>on an Apollo several months ago without any success.  Maclayers is a
>shareware (?) program that was available on comp.mac.binaries, and is
>a terminal emulator that allows multiple windows (shells) on your Mac.
>I got the Mac side of the application running, it is the server side which
>runs on the Apollo that I could not get running.  I don't remember the
>problems, but I know that for a couple of steps you need to be the
>superuser to get things going.  I contacted a couple of people back
>then, and their conclusion was that it would take a lot of work to get
>it running on an Apollo.  Sorry I don't remember any specifics.
>
>I'd be interested in hearing if anybody has got the thing going on
>an Apollo.
>

>Jeff Haferman                            internet: jlhaferman@icaen.uiowa.edu
>Department of Mechanical Engineering     DoD 0186  BMWMOA 44469  AMA 460140
>University of Iowa
>Iowa City IA  52242                                  '76 R90S

The documentation for maclayers says that it failed to install on
an Ibm RT running AIX 2.2.1 because of unsupported ioctls...
I'm sure that Domain_OS has enough unsupported almost-unix-but-not-quite
stuff to put AIX to shame.  :-)

anyway, MacLayers is nice, yeah, but I have doubts about getting
it running on an Apollo.  (I use mine on a Sun -- works just fine)

--
| Allon Stern        | (301)405-4864 [work]  |  Ring around the Internet      |
| skum@bessel.umd.edu| (301)474-4527 [home]  |  A packet with a bit not set   |

cgd@ocf.Berkeley.EDU (Chris G. Demetriou) (06/29/91)

In article <5271b3b0.1bc5b@pisa.citi.umich.edu> rees@pisa.citi.umich.edu (Jim Rees) writes:

   I've got Maclayers running on sr10.3 here.  It worked first time with no
   changes to the source.  I didn't have to be superuser to make, install, or
   run it.  I think it's got a #define to turn off mucking with the utmp file,
   and you have to do that.

We got it running here (SR10.3) after a tiny bit of mucking...

I would post the diff, but our source (and anon-ftp) archives got
zorched in a disk crash, and it's no longer online...

i know that a few people asked me about it, and i gave the patched
source to one or two of them, so there *ARE* people out there who
have working copies...

cgd
--
<          Chris G. Demetriou          | "Everybody's playing the game,       >
<         cgd@ocf.berkeley.edu         |  But nobody's rules are the same.    >