[comp.sys.sequent] Upgrade experiences?

grich@orion.cf.uci.edu (John Mangrich) (06/10/88)

This Summer we will be upgrading to Dynix 3.0, and later on going from the Balance
to the new Symmetry processors.  We are interested in hearing from anyone
who has already done either or both of these things, particularly if you
encountered problems or have hints before starting.

Thanks,

John Mangrich
Computing Facility
University of California, Irvine
ucbvax!ucivax!orion!grich
grich@orion.cf.uci.edu

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (06/11/88)

In article <653@orion.cf.uci.edu> grich@orion.cf.uci.edu (John Mangrich) writes:
>This Summer we will be upgrading to Dynix 3.0, and later on going from the Balance
>to the new Symmetry processors.  We are interested in hearing from anyone
>who has already done either or both of these things, particularly if you
>encountered problems or have hints before starting.

Going to 3.0 was no more difficult than upgrading to any other major
release.  I seem to recall that you couldn't move your /etc files
directly from 2.1 to 3.0.  I think you should print out your fstab,
rc, and rc.local and use those as a basis for hacking the 3.0 version
of those files, rather than copying them directly over.

Keep in mind, also, that some of the stuff that used to be in /etc
is now (with 3.0) in /usr/etc.

We have not yet upgraded to Symmetry (req was just signed off recently)
so I can't give you any hints there.  Maybe in a month or so.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or ronc@fai.com
      to establish uucp connection.

sac@well.UUCP (Steve Cisler) (06/13/88)

You might check with CLSI in Newtonville MA. All of their library
sites with Sequents will be upgraded from Balance to Symmetry.
The closest one to you is Thousand Oaks Public Library. Farther
north: Cal State Chico and Contra Costa County Library.
Steve Cisler
Corporate Library, Apple Computer