[comp.sys.sequent] Problem

rdp@pbseps.UUCP (Richard Perlman) (08/19/88)

We are running AT&T's lp on our Symmetry (DYNIX 3.0.12) and have
been experiencing som "oddities" with the system.  (Note: this
is Sequent's release of lp, we have a dual universe system.)

	1. Print jobs seem to stop for no obvious reason
 	   before they are realy finished although lp thinks
	   it is done spooling.

	2. Print jobs get messed up/garbaged as though there
	   was no flow control.  In fact, I have tried both
	   CTS/RTS and XON/XOFF and verified that both are
	   working (using a breakout box).

	3. When using _lpr_, and a job was active, I could NOT
	   stty (stty </dev/ttyxn) the port.  The stty request
	   was held until the lpr job finished.

	   With _lp_ I CAN stty the port (stty >/dev/ttyxb)
	   during a job, and found out that lp is using the
	   _new_ tty driver, but resets back to the old driver
	   after the job is done.  Other than the driver itself,
	   nothing seems to be changed.

	4. At times (seemingly random) an lp job simply won't
	   print unless I disable and (re-)enable the printer.

	5. Lp seems to use up a lot of inodes (pstat -T) and
	   may not be closing files after printing them.  (This
	   is suspected, but not yet verified.)

Have you experienced any of these problems, or better yet, do you
have a fix. BTW, we have disabled lpr and are only running lp.

--
Richard Perlman * pbseps!rdp@PacBell.COM || {ames,sun,att}!pacbell!pbseps!rdp
180 New Montgomery St. rm 602,  San Francisco, CA  94105  |*|  (415) 545-0233

ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (08/23/88)

We have seen all these problems on a Vax running SysV from
AT&T, and have seen them also on the Dynix SysV emulation.
One that I would add that I have also seen on both systems
is that sometimes the lpsched daemon fails to start on boot.

I just assumed that Sequent copied the original buggy AT&T
code verbatum to Dynix.

Currently we have both lp and lpr up, but the interface scripts
for lp are diddled to call "ucb lpr" with the appropriate arguments.
The pluses of this arrangement are that (1) you can use lp to access
printers on Ethernet (like our Imagens) or remote printers that the
AT&T code doesn't support, and (2) it gets rid of some of the bugs
in lp.  (The flow control problems, for instance.)  The minuses are
that the lpsched daemon still doesn't always start on boot, and the
lp queue still gets jammed occasionally.  I have considered putting
something in crontab to periodically look at the lpsched deamon and
restart as necessary, but haven't tried it yet.

Most users here use a shell script that calls "ucb lpr $*" and use
the lpr options when they have to perform work in the att universe.
My experience is that lpr is much more robust than lp.  (Dynix 2.1,
Dynix 3.0, and both SysVR2 and 4.3 BSD on a Vax 11/780.)

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!cerebus!ronc

      Calling all Fujitsu Usenet sites!  Contact cerebus!ronc or
      ronc@fai.com to establish uucp connection.

papowell@attila.uucp (Patrick Powell) (09/08/88)

In article <929@cerebus.UUCP> ronc@cerebus.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) writes:

>We have seen all these problems on a Vax running SysV from
>AT&T, and have seen them also on the Dynix SysV emulation.

Have you tried PLP, my reverse engineered version of the Berkeley LPD,
available using anonymous FTP from julius.cs.umn.edu, pub/PLP.tar.Z,
and pub/PLP.mods.Z?

              PLP - The Public Line Printer Spooler
               A Portable UNIX Line Printer Spooler
                     Release 2.0, 1 June 1988
                       Prof. Patrick Powell
                    Dept. of Computer Science
         University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
     PLP  is  a  reverse  engineered  version of the Berkeley LPD
software.   The functional resemblance between PLP and the Berke-
ley  Line  Printer  Spooler (LPD) is intentional; the source code
was  written  without  reference  to  the  original  Berkeley LPD
software, except for some very small sections concerned with net-
working  and  the large characters used for banner printing.  The
PLP software has the following features:
1).The  PLP  software is intended to be  used in a Networked File
   System  (NFS)  environment,  in which there is a common set of
   spool  queues,  as well as in a loosely coupled environment in
   which  each  host transfers print jobs to a host which has the
   printer.
2).Access  and  permission  to use PLP functions is controlled by
   entries      in      a      printer      permissions      file
   (/usr/spool/lpd/printer_perms.<hostname>)  which  can restrict
   use  by  user  name, host, spooler, page useage, and a host of
   other         factors.         The        printcap        file
   (/usr/spool/lpd/printcap.<hostname>)  is  used  to specify the
   printer queues and their operation.
3).Jobs  can now be prioritized.  The maximum priority a user can
   specify is set in the printer permissions file.
4).In  addition  to  the  general  printer permissions file, each
   spool  queue  can  have  its  own addition printer permissions
   file.
5).Line  printer control functions can be exercised from a remote
   host.   Hosts  and  users  with  remote control permission are
   specified by entries in the printer permissions file.
6).Unspooling  of  jobs  can be performed by a printcap specified
   program, rather than by the PLP unspooler.  This allows PLP to
   be used as a spooler and to have spool queues used for various
   purposes.
7).Extremely  verbose  and chatty error messages have been added.
   These  greatly  ease debugging and installation.  In addition,
   the  checkpc  utility  can be used to set file permissions and
   other items for use by the PLP software.
8).The code is quite portable, with as few system dependencies in
   it as possible.  It has run on a VAX 4.2, 4.3, and ULTRIX, SUN
   3.0, DG-UX, and DYNIX.
                        September 8, 1988
Prof. Patrick Powell, Dept. Computer Science, 136 Lind Hall, 207 Church St. SE,
University of Minnesota,  Minneapolis, MN 55455 (612)625-3543/625-4002