[comp.sys.sequent] how do I add new termINFO entries?

pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM (09/15/88)

The "pcomm" program posted to comp.sources.unix does work on Sequent hosts
with the SVAE (System V Applications Environment).  You have to compile it in
the AT&T universe (use his getopt routine, don't link in a getopt that you
use in the bsd universe):

	att make

but to be able to execute it from the ucb universe, make a symbolic link to
the SVAE terminfo library:

	ln -s /usr/att/usr/lib/terminfo /usr/lib/terminfo

Can someone tell me how to "compile" terminfo definitions?  The AT&T
"terminfo" manpage in section 4 briefly mentions the "compile" routine of
curses, but I can find no further information.

Specifically, I want to add terminal definitions for our Televideo TVS922
vt200 compatibles (sure the vt100 definition WORKS, but it doesn't have
insert line, insert character, delete line, delete character, and all the
local modifications that I've made to our termcap entries).

root@oid.UUCP (Admin) (09/17/88)

In article <2400019@kailand>, pwolfe@kailand.KAI.COM writes:

> [deleted stuff]......
>
> Can someone tell me how to "compile" terminfo definitions?  The AT&T
> "terminfo" manpage in section 4 briefly mentions the "compile" routine of
> curses, but I can find no further information.
>
> [other deletions]....

Included is the manual page for the 'compiler' you refer to. Its
called 'tic'.  As a refresher:

	i) Create your description
       ii) Decide if you want to install it in a directory other
	  than in "/usr/lib/terminfo"...good for testing (and safe)
	  but you'll need to set the environmental "TERMINFO=" and
	  export it.
     iii) Pass the description to 'tic' on the command line.
      iv) Test (and install).

This is a lot more fun and educational than getting a copy of the
terminfo db for that terminal(s).

     NAME
	  tic -	terminfo compiler

     SYNOPSIS
	  tic [	-v[_n] ]	file ...

     DESCRIPTION
	  Tic translates terminfo files	from the source	format into
	  the compiled format.	The results are	placed in the
	  directory /usr/lib/terminfo.

	  The -v (verbose) option causes tic to	output trace
	  information showing its progress.  If	the optional integer
	  is appended, the level of verbosity can be increased.

	  Tic compiles all terminfo descriptions in the	given files.
	  When a use= field is discovered, tic searches	first the
	  current file,	then the master	file, which is
	  ``./terminfo.src''.

	  If the environment variable TERMINFO is set, the results are
	  placed there instead of /usr/lib/terminfo.

	  Some limitations: total compiled entries cannot exceed 4096
	  bytes.  The name field cannot	exceed 128 bytes.

     FILES
	  /usr/lib/terminfo/*/*	   compiled terminal capability	data
	  base

     SEE ALSO
	  curses(3X), terminfo(4) in the Programmer's Reference
	  Manual.

     BUGS
	  Instead of searching ..../terminfo....src, it should check for an
	  existing compiled entry.

If any trouble E-MAIL or call. Good Luck!

      * UUCP: {att,dsinc,netsys,}!aeten@oid  | AT&T COM TSO-FAST     *
      * E-mail: {attmail!}bacyn!paeten       | Bala Cynwyd, Pa       *
      * Voice: 215-581-4444 		     | UNIX Systems Support  *
DISCLAIMER: I and only I, am responsible for my opinions and comments!