[comp.sys.sequent] SLIP for the Symmetry

gregg@quintus.UUCP (W. Gregg Stefancik) (09/22/88)

Does anyone have a an implementation of SLIP which works on the Symmetry?

Gregg Stefancik
Quintus Computer Systems
sun!quintus!gregg
gregg%quintus.com@sun.com

rich@oxtrap (K. Richard Magill) (09/26/88)

In article <461@quintus.UUCP>, gregg@quintus (W. Gregg Stefancik) writes:
>Does anyone have a an implementation of SLIP which works on the Symmetry?

I have an implementation which seems to work on balance.  I might have the
opportunity to test it on symmetry this week.  I'll let you know.

xoxorich.

ps, I am not the author of this port and will need to check with him, of
course...

gregg@quintus.UUCP (W. Gregg Stefancik) (09/26/88)

message from the author of a Balance port:

Date: Sat, 24 Sep 88 10:43:39 pdt
From: Phil Klimbal <sun!riacs.edu!klimbal>
To: gregg@quintus.com
Subject: Sequent SLIP

I did a SLIP driver for 3.0.4 a while back it is ftp'able from
icarus.riacs.edu as pub/slip/sl.tar.Z.

--Phil Klimbal
  RIACS

I ftp'd the above and compiled it on my Symmetry with no problems.
Unfortunately when ever the Sequent would receive a packet the machine
would panic.  It was able to send packets with no problems.  After many
hours of hacking and examining with crash, I came up with a patch to if_sl.c
which is merely a one liner.

Diff of if_sl.c.orig vs. if_sl.c:

375a376
> 			sc->sc_mbuf = m;

I have had some problems with the yellow pages talking to the slip interface
instead of my ethernet.  Does anyone know how to force the yellow pages and
the portmapper to use the ethernet interface only?

Gregg Stefancik
sun!quintus!gregg
gregg%quintus.com@sun.com