[comp.sys.sequent] request for comments: databases

nomad@verdix.com (Lee Damon) (12/15/88)

My boss has asked me to track down good databases that run on sequent
(Symmetry prefered, but Balance ok). He would prefer one that is pd,
but I don't expect to find any really good pd ones.

What database systems do you use? Comments on them?

ADVthanksANCE
nomad
---------------------
Lee Damon                              UUCP:         verdix!-------
UUCP: verdix!nomad                                          \      \
Internet: nomad@verdix.com         {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!castle!nomad
FidoNet: 105/302 - The Castle BBS - 503-629-5841            /
                                                      agora!

     "Say what you like, the bicycle has a great past ahead of it!"

kcs@j.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin C. Smallwood) (12/15/88)

I don't know that it is necessarily "good" (or really in the "Public
Domain"), but we run the 4.3BSD version of INGRES on both our B21 and S81
without any problems (other than some known bugs/short-comings vs. the
commercially available version of INGRES from RTI).  If you are looking for
performance then I would suggest getting a commercial version of a DBMS
that has speed-ups for the parallel architecture (like RTI's INGRES or
Oracle (I'm certain that there are others, too!)), but if you are looking
for cheap (and you have either 4.2BSD UNIX or 4.3BSD UNIX), then you might
try compiling that version of INGRES on your Symmetry.  Just a suggestion.

							Kevin Smallwood

PS. If you decide to go commercial, you should give Sequent a call to see
what DBMS producers have ported their products to the Sequent systems; they
have a list of third-party software.

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (12/17/88)

In article <8549@j.cc.purdue.edu> kcs@j.cc.purdue.edu (Kevin C. Smallwood) writes:
>PS. If you decide to go commercial, you should give Sequent a call to see
>what DBMS producers have ported their products to the Sequent systems; they
>have a list of third-party software.

Last I heard, it was still the big four:  Ingres, Oracle, Unify, Informix.

				Ron
--

      Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
      {amdahl, pyramid, sun, unisoft, uunet}!fai!ronc -or- ronc@fai.com